Got me a new wood hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroads

Feeling the Heat
Jun 19, 2008
Small Town, RI
So I've been busy on Craigslist the last couple weeks and slowly but surely I'm putting together a new wood hauler. It's a 16' tandem equipment trailer with electric brakes. I bought a toolbox for the tongue yesterday to put the saw, gas, ect in. I already have the plan for the sides, Home Cheapo 16' 2X8's or 10's. Anyways, Here's my question:

There is some small surface rust on the trailer in a few areas, nothing to be overly concered about. This week I plan to sand it down, any suggestions on what paint to use?

I have used the "Hammerite Paint" in the past, with OK results. Anybody else?

i like the hammerite but there is alot of paints that will work miltary primers are very good zinkocide i believe its called

smokinj said:
i like the hammerite but there is alot of paints that will work miltary primers are very good zinkocide i believe its called

Any idea where I can get it?

Rustoleum is fine and doesn't have the hammered finish. I've painted bull dozers with rustoleum loaded into a paint gun and also use rustoleum on my wrought iron projects.

Consider that once you fill the stake pockets with side board stakes that you won't be able to use those stake pockets for chains to hold the logs down. DO you intend to depend on the sideboards to hold logs in the trailer? I don't like to so I've been eyeballing the weld on D-rings.

I already have the D-rings welded on. The sides I'm going to put on will be completely removable and will only be on the trailer when I'm hauling already cut wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.