Installing Vintage Lange 6302A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnMack

Feb 7, 2023
Ore
My old 6302A stove came back to me after decades of absence. Have just about finished it's refinishing - sand blasted the exterior surface rust and reapplied cement on all joints. It's had one firing driveway since using a 5' x 6" galv snaplock shrunk to 5" as chimney. Works just fine and I plan to do another burn next dry day. I'm on the PNW coast so those aren't readily available/predictable features. Plan is to put this in the shop 2.2k ft pole barn with 6" FG ceiling insulation. We only see a few days of frost per year but can go weeks of damp 40-50° with the stove used to knock the edge off the damp mostly.

My question is about the chimney. This stove takes 5" pipe. I'm anticipating needing about 16' total height off stove to make the 2' min @10' clearance. I'd prefer to not go through the roof given our ~80" of precipitation but could be convinced.

There's a comfortable 8' above the stove, but that could be a bit more If I remove a bit of corrugated FG clerestory lite.

My concerns are cost - 5" seems to be a premium price compared to 6" and I'm not seeing 5x6" adapter but may not be looking in the right place(s). If I go side wall exit I'd need to be able to clear gutter which would be ~6" off the (metal) siding.

Is there functional advantage/penalty going 6" from stove to cap? Would that ease the problem of having two 90°'s? Is the placement height of the cleanout tee based on any more than access convenience? Is the double wall black acceptable all the way to the wall/ceiling pass through?

I'm almost wondering if parting with the Lange and going direct-vent pellet wouldn't be a better option. Advice and opinions welcome. Thanks.

It's ok to use the 6", it will be fine. For a price comparison try here:

A properly installed, thru-the-roof installation will not leak any more with an 80" rainfall situation then it would with a 30" rainfall. Generally, it's less expensive to do this type of installation.

The stove is not very fussy about draft. It will work with a thru-the-wall flue system if that is the plan.

FYI. I pulled out my Jotul 606 manual the other day to check dimensions for a new installation. It is also a 5" outlet stove supplied with a 6" adaptor with a recomended 6" pipe to connect to the flue. Made sense until they discuss that the recommended flue size is 7" or a 6 by 6 square tile. The 606 has similar size firebox. In the Jotuls case a 6" circular flue would be smaller than their recommendation. So it may be worth doing a bit more research on your stove if a 6" round flue pipe is big enough.

It's ok to use the 6", it will be fine. For a price comparison try here:

A properly installed, thru-the-roof installation will not leak any more with an 80" rainfall situation then it would with a 30" rainfall. Generally, it's less expensive to do this type of installation.

The stove is not very fussy about draft. It will work with a thru-the-wall flue system if that is the plan.

Thanks for the link, that's a big help. No one around here wants to do anything not 4-6-8 inches. I just hate cutting holes in roofs (that are mine) but the side wall jog may just be pricing itself out of viability.

ETA; I'm just attempting to get some input before I ask folks trying to sell me something.

Last edited:
FYI. I pulled out my Jotul 606 manual the other day to check dimensions for a new installation. It is also a 5" outlet stove supplied with a 6" adaptor with a recomended 6" pipe to connect to the flue. Made sense until they discuss that the recommended flue size is 7" or a 6 by 6 square tile. The 606 has similar size firebox. In the Jotuls case a 6" circular flue would be smaller than their recommendation. So it may be worth doing a bit more research on your stove if a 6" round flue pipe is big enough.
Attached is from the horses mouth, is it wrong to assume that 5" isn't the proper size to the cap? I only installed this once but that was '73 I believe and it was all done with single wall stovepipe, but that was long ago. Not sure what the two other users had done and they passed so it's back to me now.

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 12.11.21 PM.png

5" is more common in Europe. It will work fine on 6". The advantage of going with that size flue system is that if you later want to change out the stove, 6" is the most common size for modern stoves.

5" is more common in Europe. It will work fine on 6". The advantage of going with that size flue system is that if you later want to change out the stove, 6" is the most common size for modern stoves.
That's another thing I was wondering about. So far none of my local folks wanted to bother looking for the 5x6 transition. Going through the roof will require one of the rubber flashing boots - any issues with those to be aware of / ones to avoid?

That's another thing I was wondering about. So far none of my local folks wanted to bother looking for the 5x6 transition. Going through the roof will require one of the rubber flashing boots - any issues with those to be aware of / ones to avoid?
If you want it to be long-term hassle and leak-free, avoid them all. For a metal roof, use a proper metal roof flashing from Excel or Ventis. It gets notched for the ribs or seams.
excel_metal_flash_close.jpg

Reactions: JohnMack
Our local hardware stores carry 5 to 6 adapters and they are definitely available online but as others have said it's probably not actually 5"

And don't do the rubber boot just do it right with metal and be done with it

Reactions: JohnMack
Our local hardware stores carry 5 to 6 adapters and they are definitely available online but as others have said it's probably not actually 5"

And don't do the rubber boot just do it right with metal and be done with it
Measured again with 2 different calipers and get 126mm to 127mm, it is visibly tapered. Probably 125.5 at the top the 126 is about 3/8" down. Thanks for reinforcing the no rubber boot though.