got to love Mass government??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please define what aid you are talking about. All of the studies I have seen on this, also include personal income tax rebates and such.
Keeping in mind, all of these 'aids' are outlined by the fed. All the states are just following the same rules and the demographics and income levels fall where they may.
If we did a small flat fed tax with zero rebates, that would make a ton of sense to me. But lets face it...it can never be 'fair'. CT and MA get trillions in military spending with defense contractors and it keeps a great deal of their economy floating. Midwest states get massive amounts of farm subsidies that keeps things going. The list goes on and on for every state. The fed wants it this way because then they can control local government by holding big piles of money over their heads when big votes come up. It is legal bribery.

We all know how states get into trouble these days. Too much spending on entitlement programs. It is always that obvious.
The figures i am referring to came from the federal govt. I didnt look into everything but yes farm subsidies are included as are all other subsidies. Defence spending for services and goods is not. Tax refunds and rebates etc are not covered under aid but are taken off because it means less tax is paid in.

The buttons aren't coming back but the interface may change. You might find yourself talking to the car to adjust temperature and such.

they will never go back on anything. they might lose a sale. it will windup being alexa turn the heat up. i just makes people be i got something that's better than yours. it's people that want this electronic screen control in general. even tho it actually takes longer to get to the right screen and turn the heat up on your side of the front seat. not all but some of the electronics being made are actually making people dumber. for proof ask someone you know if the have the phone number of another friend the answer most of the time is hold on let me get my phone out. remember when we had all those phone numbers in are head.

they will never go back on anything. they might lose a sale.
Some will go back. Chevy listened to Volt owners closely and fixed a lot of small items that bugged gen 1 owners. One prime complaint was having to take one's eyes off the road to adjust the climate controls. Gen2 Volt has common sense analog controls now for heating/cooling/defrost functionality.

And don't even get me started on how brain dead some car voice command systems are.

Last edited:
Some will go back. Chevy listened to Volt owners closely and fixed a lot of small items that bugged gen 1 owners. One prime complaint was having to take one's eyes off the road to adjust the climate controls. Gen2 Volt has common sense analog controls now for heating/cooling/defrost functionality.

And don't even get me started on how brain dead some car voice command systems are.
The voice command in my wifes escape is fairly good. And they have steering wheel controls for the commonly used stuff. For the most part it is pretty good.

The one control that is really agravating is turning off traction control. You have to go through 3 menues on the insturment panel display to get to it. Not that tyu ou need to do it often but its stupid

I think we need a car section in the forum lineup on hearth. Seems to be a popular topic.

Last edited:
The voice command in my wifes escape is fairly good. And they have steering wheel controls for the commonly used stuff. For the most part it is pretty good.
My 2013 F150's is ok, not great, but better than the Volt's.

All the voice commands I use are through my phone not car. Hold down button and tell google what to do.
Android connected to the climate controls? That would drive my wife nuts and a potential infraction of the distracted driving law in WA state.

Android connected to the climate controls? That would drive my wife nuts and a potential infraction of the distracted driving law in WA state.

It’s possible you’re misinterpreting what he’s saying, here. Both of my cars access the car’s voice commands and Siri thru the same button on the steering wheel controls. Long press, “Siri, call my wife.” Short press, “map a course to the marina,” or “play Court of the Crimson King.”

Thanks to an internet connectivity requirement, Siri’s adaptability is better, but she’s also less reliable in rural areas. The voice commands on my cars are pretty good, but Siri and Alexa have set the bar pretty high, there. My cars both came with Internet connectivity, but I didn’t bother paying to keep them online when the free trial plans ran out after two years. The only thing I miss is, “Siri, start my car,” from my desk at work on cold winter evenings, or double checking the doors are locked at airport parking from abroad.

Last edited:
That's phone connectivity. We were discussing car control operation and crappy car UI, but that does sound better than our car's built in voice recognition. Maybe our next car will have that feature. Our vehicles are both 2013 which was before Apple and Android car OS was an option.

Last edited:
All the voice commands I use are through my phone not car. Hold down button and tell google what to do.
In her car you can control your phone and most settings in the car by voice. Just hit the button on the wheel and say you comand. It will also read texts to you and convert speech to text.

My voice commands generally come from the passenger seat.... I’m cold, I’m hot, Honey I need to use the restroom, your driving too fast, watch that car, turn here, I don’t like that music....,..

Last edited:
My voice commands generally come from the passenger seat.... I’m cold, I’m hot, Honey I need to use the restroom, your driving too fast, watch that car, turn here, I don’t like that music....,..

We are like this. Her: You should have turned right 2 miles ago! Me: And you're telling me this now?

Reactions: vinny11950
We all know how states get into trouble these days. Too much spending on entitlement programs. It is always that obvious.
Hopefully the Federal Govt wont be tempted to bail out bankrupt states with more borrowed money, otherwise the incentive for states to balance their own budgets will be eliminated and states red ink will explode. As in rewarding bad behavior.

Hopefully the Federal Govt wont be tempted to bail out bankrupt states with more borrowed money, otherwise the incentive for states to balance their own budgets will be eliminated and states red ink will explode. As in rewarding bad behavior.
So what would your solution be? Kick them out of the union? Why not do the same for states that consistently take more than they receive from the federal govt?

States only take what the Govt gives them.Fed Govt is completely in charge of what they give. My solution would be to let them go through bankruptcy or change their behavior before its too late. Bankruptcy has a cleansing effect. People in every a state should to take more responsibility for their own expenses. People are very resilient. They tend to take care of themselves and their families when not handed everything by the Govt.
What happens when the Fed debt bomb explodes? Even so, Mass pension debt wont be solved by any of this.

Last edited:
States only take what the Govt gives them.Fed Govt is completely in charge of what they give. My solution would be to let them go through bankruptcy or change their behavior before its too late. Bankruptcy has a cleansing effect. People in every a state should to take more responsibility for their own expenses. People are very resilient. They tend to take care of themselves and their families when not handed everything by the Govt.
What happens when the Fed debt bomb explodes? Even so, Mass pension debt wont be solved by any of this.
You do realize mass is middle of the road for pension funding right?

I am curious what you think a state bankruptcy would solve? They are not allowed to default on any of their debts so it would mean nothing.

Reactions: fbelec

The bottom line is that the fed is way too powerful of a force in local government. They are the puppetmaster. Every suckhole economics failure of a congress person claims "job creation" when they just got a grant from the government....and the worst part...people believe it.

The bottom line is that the fed is way too powerful of a force in local government.
The Fed Govt wants to keep expanding ,without the funding to do that. They are coercing a generation of people to to depend on Govt for everything. Many of which would otherwise take care of themselves just fine. Just like spoiling yur kids. There used to be a garden in every back yard where i live. No more. I guess the Govt fixed that too.

The Fed Govt wants to keep expanding ,without the funding to do that. They are coercing a generation of people to to depend on Govt for everything. Many of which would otherwise take care of themselves just fine. Just like spoiling yur kids. There used to be a garden in every back yard where i live. No more. I guess the Govt fixed that too.
Yes and that is all the govts fault. You do realize every generation says stuff like this about the next ones.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes and that is all the govts fault. You do realize every generation says stuff like this about the next ones.
Facts have changed. It used to be a negative thing for the population to be on food stamps, no 40M are on food stamps and 21% are on some sort of government assistance.
You're right. Every generation blames the last and the next. But we've never been $20T in debt either. Our increases in spending can't be sustained and there is no plan to pay it off.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Facts have changed. It used to be a negative thing for the population to be on food stamps, no 40M are on food stamps and 21% are on some sort of government assistance.
You're right. Every generation blames the last and the next. But we've never been $20T in debt either. Our increases in spending can't be sustained and there is no plan to pay it off.
There have been plans to pay it off. The budjet was even balanced once with a plan to have the debt played off. Then the next pres came in cut taxes raised debt and ran our economy into the ground leaving us with the mess we are still digging out of.

There have been plans to pay it off. The budjet was even balanced once with a plan to have the debt played off. Then the next pres came in cut taxes raised debt and ran our economy into the ground leaving us with the mess we are still digging out of.

Last democratic congress to balance the budget: 1969 (!)

Last republican congress to balance the budget: 2001

Most recent string of balanced budgets: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.

The magic ticket seems to be having a republic congress (both house and senate) and democratic president (Clinton), causing just the right amount of constipation. For what it’s worth, Clinton also had two years with a democratic congress, and they ran enormous deficits both years (to the tune of $200B/year). Yes, that’s a “B”.

Obama’s deficits were of course the high water mark of all time, being greater than the sum total of 235 years of presidents preceding him, but I’m not going to pretend we can’t top that.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Congress controls spending. It is not a presidential matter. Congress can pull the rug at any time. But they don't even read the bills.

One thing that is completely bi-partisan is to increase the debt spending limit year after year to keep this spending machine going.

Status
Not open for further replies.