Got trailer... need winch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd love to stop cutting every log I process into individual rounds, to load them onto my trailer and haul home, but need a way to easily get logs up onto my Big Tex Vanguard 70TV trailer:

70TV.png

Since I mostly haul larger stuff, I always run out of weight capacity (7000# gross minus 1850# curb = 5150# payload) at a single course of wood, so there's not much need for stacking. This makes a simple winch on the front of the trailer, with a snatch block from front top rail pretty practical for dragging wood up into the trailer. Log diameter varies 24" up to 48", and will be cut some even fraction of the 16' bed length, depending on weight and diameter (I skid them out of the woods with a Ford 3000 tractor).

Obstacles:

1. I do not believe the front wall or rail of the trailer can handle the pulling loads. A winch mounted on the tongue assembly may do well, but the resulting downward load of feeding the cable up thru a block on the top rail will also likely cause damage.

2. Without some sort of rig to lift the log, I'll be dragging it up the tailgate a bit. The choker on the log will always want to spin toward the top side of the log, I suspect. The solution may be as simple as covering the expanded metal on the tailgate with wood when skidding, or another block mounted up high farther toward the rear of the trailer. Looking for ideas.

3. I'd rather not run high-amperage cabling from the battery of my truck to the trailer. Knowing duty cycle will be low, the average current draw will be a fraction of the actual running current draw, and I may do well with a battery on the trailer being charged through the parking light circuit. No issues on resolving this myself, but would like to hear experience from those who've actually done this, or similar.

How about mounting the winch on the tongue, then cutting a hole in the front wall and install a fairlead on the inside of the wall.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: iPREFERPi
How about mounting the winch on the tongue, then cutting a hole in the front wall and install a fairlead on the inside of the wall.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yep. The answer. And don't think you need a monster winch to to do it.

Of course you over kill everything so...;lol

I'd love to stop cutting every log I process into individual rounds, to load them onto my trailer and haul home, but need a way to easily get logs up onto my Big Tex Vanguard 70TV trailer:

View attachment 193439
A 7 pin plug should have a charging pin. A deep cycle mounted to the tongue should work fine.

Since I mostly haul larger stuff, I always run out of weight capacity (7000# gross minus 1850# curb = 5150# payload) at a single course of wood, so there's not much need for stacking. This makes a simple winch on the front of the trailer, with a snatch block from front top rail pretty practical for dragging wood up into the trailer. Log diameter varies 24" up to 48", and will be cut some even fraction of the 16' bed length, depending on weight and diameter (I skid them out of the woods with a Ford 3000 tractor).

Obstacles:

1. I do not believe the front wall or rail of the trailer can handle the pulling loads. A winch mounted on the tongue assembly may do well, but the resulting downward load of feeding the cable up thru a block on the top rail will also likely cause damage.

2. Without some sort of rig to lift the log, I'll be dragging it up the tailgate a bit. The choker on the log will always want to spin toward the top side of the log, I suspect. The solution may be as simple as covering the expanded metal on the tailgate with wood when skidding, or another block mounted up high farther toward the rear of the trailer. Looking for ideas.

3. I'd rather not run high-amperage cabling from the battery of my truck to the trailer. Knowing duty cycle will be low, the average current draw will be a fraction of the actual running current draw, and I may do well with a battery on the trailer being charged through the parking light circuit. No issues on resolving this myself, but would like to hear experience from those who've actually done this, or similar.

Not sure if it will help in any way but...the old.timers used ramps on the side and "rolled" the logs on. Just mentioning an alternate option.

Not sure if it will help in any way but...the old.timers used ramps on the side and "rolled" the logs on. Just mentioning an alternate option.

Now you need wiches for the sides!

You would be better off using a roller on the top of the front rather than using a hole through it. You will need some lift angle to clear the gate, otherwise the log will snag it and hang on it.

Greg

Reactions: Ashful
If you have enough wenches, you can just tell them to load the trailer and call you when it's done.

Also.... Eeeeeeeeeee! Look how CUTE.

Well, this thread now has several ways that it could cost me a divorce...

Last edited:
Lol, jetsam. But the link was "404 not found"!

Yeah, if moving by man or one horsepower, that seems to be the way to go, and the same motion could be replicated by tractor. But I bought the solid side trailer, based on having always moved wood as rounds, not logs. Sort of shot that method down, in the process, I think.

Boy, Our customers could destroy those!!

If you have enough wenches, you can just tell them to load the trailer and call you when it's done.

Also.... Eeeeeeeeeee! Look how CUTE.

Well, this thread now has several ways that it could cost me a divorce...
That link might cost me some money....lol

So - how do you plan on unloading?
I have many options, one of which could be running a choker from back end of log thru a block attached to a tree or other suitable anchor, and back to the winch. Easier would be just dragging them off with a choker and my tractor. I have suitable tractors at both locations.

@jetsam, I love the grapples! Unfortunately, I'm moving logs that sometimes weigh over 3000#. A grapple that will handle that weight is going to be mighty spendy.

I have many options, one of which could be running a choker from back end of log thru a block attached to a tree or other suitable anchor, and back to the winch. Easier would be just dragging them off with a choker and my tractor. I have suitable tractors at both locations.

@jetsam, I love the grapples! Unfortunately, I'm moving logs that sometimes weigh over 3000#. A grapple that will handle that weight is going to be mighty spendy.
Tight wad...lol

Reactions: Ashful
Tight wad...lol
I'm sure that this whole woodburning thing is not saving me money, but I'm still clinging to the hope it won't cost me MORE than burning oil!

I'm sure that this whole woodburning thing is not saving me money, but I'm still clinging to the hope it won't cost me MORE than burning oil!
I figure I am not there yet on my return...but close...if I can just refrain from any new wood processing gadgets I will be set!

I figure I am not there yet on my return...but close...if I can just refrain from any new wood processing gadgets I will be set!
The "if" is why I stopped counting, after the first few years. I started small, with a single chainsaw and splitting maul. Then there were a few more saws, safety gear, and cant hook. Then I got a nice little utility trailer to pull behind the garden tractor. Then the Deere MFWD diesel tractor with front-end loader. Then offroad 2-link chains for all four tires, and skidding gear. Then a log splitter. Then that 7000# tandem-axle trailer. Now I'm looking for a heavier truck to pull the trailer easier...

The wood shed I have planned, at 25' x 35' (so I can fit the trailer under roof), is going to blow any hope of this ever being a profitable endeavor.

Well, now I feel less guilty. I'm only in for 2 chainsaws, a splitter, and a $300 Craigslist trailer.
Though now I might need a $7000 grapple for my $300 trailer....
I am somewhere in the middle. Electric log splitter, 22 ton log splitter, 2 chainsaws and may be looking to replace one chainsaw since its broken. 2 mauls, wedges, sledgehammer, fiskar x25, dump cart and presently eyeing up a trailer to haul wood in. lol I have been doing this for 10 years though. This is an expensive hobby lol

and hello neighbor!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I see much advantage to not cutting into rounds first. It's something you have to do anyway. Then you could split off the trailer while unloading. Or, split before you load - then unload from trailer right to where it will be stacked. I like getting it into the small easy to move pieces ASAP.

Comes down to your whole setup though. Plus also I guess there might be time constraints, in getting the logs out of wherever they are quickly? Or just not being able to process in place.

I'm think you'll need a good sized winch though, to get logs drug up & on the trailer. And a pretty high fairlead roller thingie. And the back end of your trailer will likely take a beating.

Reactions: Poindexter
I am somewhere in the middle. Electric log splitter, 22 ton log splitter, 2 chainsaws and may be looking to replace one chainsaw since its broken. 2 mauls, wedges, sledgehammer, fiskar x25, dump cart and presently eyeing up a trailer to haul wood in. lol I have been doing this for 10 years though. This is an expensive hobby lol

and hello neighbor!

Your healthier and it's better than going to the gym ( less the cuties )