Got wood delivery aged but dirty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce P

Aug 10, 2015
Whiting NJ
After my first delivery of recently split wood I decide to save it for next year and found a place that had aged split wood. It is 3 year old wood that was split two years ago and sold last winter as well. It is very dark but not rotted however there was a lot of sand and dirt on some of it. I brushed it off as I stacked it. There is a pile of black dirt and bark left where it was dumped. about 4 foot wide. Is this an issue as far as burning is concerned? I will brush off more sand as I pull it to burn. Its not on every piece.

Non issue.

The only concern I've ever had with sand is the possibility of scratching your glass if you ever use the ash to clean your glass.

Would much rather have that dropped off as opposed to a truckload of "nice and clean" (and green). As per Jags, stack it and let mother nature wash it for you.

I have seen rocks go 'pop' in a hot fire - that would be the only thing that might concern me.

That's not sand though, so you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.