Gotta buy a Cord....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I didn't prepare (my fault) for burning as much as I did this winter so far, and we're not even ramped into it yet.

I'm forced to buy a cord. I could go out to my free wood spot, but it's all gonna be soaked wet, and covered in snow for awhile, so thats out.

Anyway, I have been exchanging emails with a fella who has wood for sale. He's not pushy, and answers any question I have. He's selling a mix of Fir, Maple, and Alder *all softwoods* for 200 bucks a cord. Pretty much the going price around here.

Anyway, he says it's all been down for 5 years and decked on his property. He's not in the wood business, just selling it off by the cord to get it gone.

He cuts the wood to your desired lenght when you order it, and then splits it.

My question, is this wood going to be ready to burn? Or will it have to sit for a year. It's been down, but not split. Thoughts?

5 years down and soft wood there is no reason why you coulnt burn it this year!(hard wood is a differnt story)

I agree. Being softwood, it should be good to go.

D/F said:
He's selling a mix of Fir, Maple, and Alder...
Well... Fir is a softwood but Maple?

LLigetfa said:
D/F said:
He's selling a mix of Fir, Maple, and Alder...
Well... Fir is a softwood but Maple?
yes silver maple is softwood I burn it 4 months after split and thats alive tree

Some things never cease to amaze me. It's like I'm on a different planet sometimes.

It's probably Big Leaf, or Oregon Maple. Technically a hardwood, but pretty soft. It's around the same btu's as Doug Fir. I like it.

After being down for 5 years, alot of it could be on the punky side.

You know, I was thinking that, Todd.......just didn't want to be the one to rain on his parade. How could it not be after 5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.