Granite for a hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
I was looking through my options for a hearth and stumbled across granite tile. I haven't seen that referenced here too often so perhaps it is a bad option for a hearth. Does anyone have any experience with granite tiles for a hearth? The hearth I'm building will be flush with an oak floor (not raised). Just a thought and figured I'd ryun it by the forum before I started seriously considering it... thanks!

No problem, it is a good material for a hearth. Lots of old hearths were made of it. So much so that some folks took their hearths for granite. :shut: (duck!)

BeGreen said:
...Lots of old hearths were made of it. So much so that some folks took their hearths for granite.

You rock, BG. Sometimes you just slate me. :p Rick

Thanks Rick. I knew that would get a rise out of ya. But I'll be gneiss. You're probably the only one that gives a schist anyway. (And no, I wasn't stoned when I wrote that, but if I keep it up you'll probably be seeing me in da quartz.)

I have granite tiles on my hearth. I love the way it looks.

BeGreen said:
Thanks Rick. I knew that would get a rise out of ya. But I'll be gneiss. You're probably the only one that gives a schist anyway. (And no, I wasn't stoned when I wrote that, but if I keep it up you'll probably be seeing me in da quartz.)

Shale we get back on topic here? This is becoming a bit obsidian. Rick

Dang, whaddya gonna do, build a monument? :bug: Rick

fossil said:
Dang, whaddya gonna do, build a monument? :bug: Rick

Gonna build a hearth that can be seen from space! LOL

Actually a friend of mine owns the granite shop and I'm doing him a favor hauling it out. I'm filling in a hole on my property.

'Read an article in the paper regarding relatively high radio-activity/radon emission from some types of granite -- so much that some people are pulling out their kitchen counter tops! I for one have a nice striated granite tile hearth, and I'm NOT 'gonna get a geiger counter to test it; 'looks good, wears well, holds heat, and I'm keeping it. (The stove has an up-draft air intake anyway. Maybe it sucks all the nasty stuff up into the chimney.)

Regards

besides nuclear radiation only adds to the BTUS in the wood being burned ;)

I have a solid granite hearth and I have to say......it rocks :)

Seriously though, we got the polished granite it looks real nice and holds up well. We always get compliments on it. Also, the polished is easy to clean(no cracks or crevices to get gunked up), just bruch off into a dustpan.

Y

Dexter said:
'Read an article in the paper regarding relatively high radio-activity/radon emission from some types of granite -- so much that some people are pulling out their kitchen counter tops! I for one have a nice striated granite tile hearth, and I'm NOT 'gonna get a geiger counter to test it; 'looks good, wears well, holds heat, and I'm keeping it. (The stove has an up-draft air intake anyway. Maybe it sucks all the nasty stuff up into the chimney.)

Regards

Thats BS made up by solid surface counter top companies that compete against granite counter tops...

Ha, yeah... radon is a bunch of crap anyway. My basement had a radon reading of 75 !!!!! The state limit was 4 !!! Yes, so I had to spend $1000 to put a "radon dissapation system" in the basement. Hmmm... I'm pretty sure we all grew up with radon in the house and don't have 4 arms...

Anyway... love to see those hearths. My wife is leaning toward granite...

Here are a couple of pictures, I'll try to post something better when I get home tonight.........

Y

Attachments

• DSC_0039.JPG
    DSC_0039.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 276
4 arms would come in quite handy, IMO.

I'd wager those granite counters are coming out because they weren't taken care of and look like crap.
I've had black slate and would never do it again, I broke way too many nice wine glasses on it.
Course, I break them in the sink, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.