Grate???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RazrRebel

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Hey guys, before I ask I have to say this forum is great. I read alot, try not to ask alot. I usually try to figure things out for myself. I have a Buck insert in my fireplace and it does pretty good. One problem I have is the insert is so small it does not have a ash pan. This means at some time, usually 14 to 16 hours I have to try to get the ashes out hot or let the fire go out. I was wondering if a grate cut to fit so I could fit a small ash shovel underneath would help. I can't really see any downsides to trying. Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem with the small stoves. I can get a good fire going and my heat pump won't run at all. I'd really like to be able to burn 24/7. Anybody have any feedback on using a grate to be able to get the ashes out while keeping a good burn going?

Some of the buck models had (as stock) grates or small fire dogs (just some steel which kept the fire up an inch or two), so this could be something that helps a bit.
It will, of course, take up a small amount of room in the box....but I'd say give it a shot!

Hey guys, before I ask I have to say this forum is great. I read alot, try not to ask alot. I usually try to figure things out for myself. I have a Buck insert in my fireplace and it does pretty good. One problem I have is the insert is so small it does not have a ash pan. This means at some time, usually 14 to 16 hours I have to try to get the ashes out hot or let the fire go out. I was wondering if a grate cut to fit so I could fit a small ash shovel underneath would help. I can't really see any downsides to trying. Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem with the small stoves. I can get a good fire going and my heat pump won't run at all. I'd really like to be able to burn 24/7. Anybody have any feedback on using a grate to be able to get the ashes out while keeping a good burn going?

Razr, am I reading this right that you are removing ashes each time you reload? That usually is not a good idea. Best to have an inch or two of ash in the stove. As for the coals, when it gets down to coals or just before, then open the draft full. This will allow you to get the heat that is in the coals while holding the stove temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.