Gravity feed system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Thinking about installing Blaze King King in centrally located area of the basement to supplement insert in one story ranch. Don't spend much time in basement and room has unfinished low ceiling , so I can put any vents or feeds to transfer warm air upstairs. Any thoughts on this?
Was thinking about furnace . But don't like relative short burn time, look, and powerful fans

Are the basement walls insulated?
Mine aren’t. I can run the BK on high round the clock and barely raise the upstairs temp a degree. I’m all too aware of the issues with heating from a basement, now I’m experiencing it personally.

The walls are insulated and floors as well. I still worry about getting heat upstairs. The better option would be to put something like Ashford upstairs but wife likes the look of Travis flush insert and wouldn't let me get rid of it. I actually love it too but don't want to feed the stove 3 times a day and like to try something different like BK. The free standing stove on main level would be a nice edition but complete overkill. ( and sign pyromania that we all have)

What kind of insert wont heat a 1 story well insulated ranch house if i may ask? Heating BTU requirements have got to be low. May be a better idea to upgrade That!

What kind of insert wont heat a 1 story well insulated ranch house if i may ask? Heating BTU requirements have got to be low. May be a better idea to upgrade That!
Travis actually heats well in 75 plus. Just want to cut loading times from 3 a day

Travis actually heats well in 75 plus. Just want to cut loading times from 3 a day
That got me wonderin if they make a CAT insert? I get away with once a day from a Harman on sunny winter days supplemented by a sun room. 2 loads on cloudy days. My other burn tube stoves(in other homes) wont go as long.

That got me wonderin if they make a CAT insert? I get away with once a day from a Harman on sunny winter days supplemented by a sun room. 2 loads on cloudy days. My other burn tube stoves(in other homes) wont go as long.
His insert does have a cat. It’s a hybrid.

His insert does have a cat. It’s a hybrid.
A cat that you have to load 3 times a day? Only if your running on high all the time i presume. Excuse the ignorance , not familiar with CAT stoves at all. If i had a super insulated place i guess they would be the logical choice being thats where they excel is running low and slow ,right?

I load it 7 am , 3pm and 11 pm for 24 hours. It’s not able to run low and slow like BK and doesn’ have thermostat , so I unable to go to sleep or to work for an hour , need to choke the air within an hour or two gradually

I load it 7 am , 3pm and 11 pm for 24 hours. It’s not able to run low and slow like BK and doesn’ have thermostat , so I unable to go to sleep or to work for an hour , need to choke the air within an hour or two gradually
OH, ok, i thought you could run all cat stoves like a BK . So all CAT stoves are NOT created Equal . Im learning something here.

Sunny or mild winter days i can do a 1 load a day in the Harman. Load er up about 10PM and its still giving some heat up until about noon the next day. Over the next 10 hours the house may fall a few degrees till the next 10PM load. Very cold and cloudy days its 2 loads.

OH, ok, i thought you could run all cat stoves like a BK . So all CAT stoves are NOT created Equal . Im learning something here.
Mine called a Hybrid . It has secondary tubes , whatever is not burned goes to cat . That’s an idea behind it .

Mine called a Hybrid . It has secondary tubes , whatever is not burned goes to cat . That’s an idea behind it .
What s the BTU, Sq ft rating or inside Cu. Ft. of the stove?

Correct, not all cat stoves burn like a BK...
However, if you were trying to heat the house above, and losing all your heat to uninsulated basement masonry, you would be running a BK hard too, and loading it more often...maybe not loading a BK King quite as often because it's one of the very few stoves that is 4+ cu ft and will hold more wood. (Most "Large" stoves are 3 cu ft.)

However, if you were trying to heat the house above, and losing all your heat to uninsulated basement masonry, you would be running a BK hard too, and loading it more often...maybe not loading a BK King quite as often because it's one of the very few stoves that is 4+ cu ft and will hold more wood. (Most "Large" stoves are 3 cu ft.)
Dmitry did say his walls as well as the floor was insulated. Ranch homes are usually very easy to heat ,especially if they are insulated well. I also did not know the BK king was 4 Cu Ft , Thats one big stove.

Yep, the BK King has an extra-large firebox. Will hold ~ 90 lbs of wood, I believe.

I was talking about Webby's house with the BK in the uninsulated basement. Sorry for the confusion.
Are the basement walls insulated?
Mine aren’t. I can run the BK on high round the clock and barely raise the upstairs temp a degree. I’m all too aware of the issues with heating from a basement, now I’m experiencing it personally.

Last edited:
That’s correct. Almost all the benefit of a BK is lost if you’re running wide open. The only only real benefit is knowing the stove can be left unattended on high without it over firing.

For now I’m just using the wood furnace that was here when we bought the place..