Great day to be out by the wood pile!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardley

Burning Hunk
Feb 5, 2009
Cato, NY
Not too many days like last Sunday left. Lucky for me I got a new splitter so I won't be out there until mid January whacking away with the maul . Almost done with next years. It's a mix of sugar maple, Black walnut, ash, and cherry. Plus one aspen that was in the way =)

35937767.68b71e.jpg

Always nice when you can get the little lady out there.
35937843.66a92f.jpg

35938019.fe9fbf.jpg

Anyone to venture a guess on how much is there? 16" cut and she is 5'3"
35947839.8076df.jpg

Good job, both with the wood and getting the lady to help! I hate guessing from pictures since they usually do a wood pile no justice but I'd guess about 3 cords in the pile give or take.

Looks like fun. My vote is 2-2.5 cords.

Real nice splitter and woodpile too! Great pics and I think the lil lady is enjoying it too! Welcome to the forum!

Ray

I agree that it looks like about 2 cords...

Great looking place you got there, and it looks like you got a good start on next years pile. Enjoy that new splitter also!

Yesterday was a magnificent fall day in CNY. 2 cord is my vote.

"Anyone to venture a guess on how much is there? 16” cut and she is 5’3”"

Its hard to say with the loose jacket on, but I would guess about 120lbs. :lol:

Just kidding! I bet it made a great day outside even better!

You know....I really dislike you folks with these awesome tractors and wives that HELP! Nontheless.....I like seeing the photos! Nice work...

That looks like a solid day. Nice equipment and you had a helper.

Nice pictures - nothing like a nice outdoor day doing wood work and having company too! Cool

I guess 1.5 cord

Good job beardley and congratulations on getting the wife to help out. For some reason, it just seems right when a husband and wife can work together on things like that.

The next time you fire up that splitter, try it in vertical mode and make your work much, much easier.

DennisCook4-4-09b.gif

Backwoods Savage said:
Good job beardley and congratulations on getting the wife to help out. For some reason, it just seems right when a husband and wife can work together on things like that.

The next time you fire up that splitter, try it in vertical mode and make your work much, much easier.

DennisCook4-4-09b.gif

Now Dennis . . . you and I agree on many things and have similar views . . . but I have to tell ya . . . this is our one sticking point. About the only time I go vertical with my splitter is on the way-too-heavy-too-lift wood . . . I have always preferred splitting horizontally . . . it just works better for me for my back and speed (but then again I'm also just a bit younger than you and I grew up with the horizontal splitter -- perhaps in another couple of decades when I get older and wiser (and my back is out of whack) I too will finally listen to your horizontal splitting is best philosophy . . . but for now I am afraid I will have to respectfully disagree with you as I find it easier and faster for me to split horizontally. ;) :)

Great pics Beardley . . . looks like a good, productive day.

My guess: 1 1/2-2 cords of split wood.

Okay Jake if you insist on making your back give out sooner rather than later. But I'll still razz you over it.

Very nice, I guess 1.5 cords.

I agree with Jake on the horizontal - 100%. I did notice that some splitters seem to be very low to the ground and some are where mine is - right at working height. I do not have to bend over once when splitting until i get to the lower levels of my stacks of rounds. I do go vertical for the big ones though...

It looks like the Savage has one that is low to the ground...

Besides, I am already scheduling the discectomy so I should be good as new for splitting come spring time. Don't bend over - Bend at the knees...

1.75 cords. They are stacked a little loose.

bigtall said:
"Anyone to venture a guess on how much is there? 16” cut and she is 5’3”"

Its hard to say with the loose jacket on, but I would guess about 120lbs. :lol:

Just kidding! I bet it made a great day outside even better!

Ha, I won't tell her that one! She's about 105 and they don't take to well to over estimates. :lol:

I tried running the splitter in the vert position, but I didn't really like it. The plate is small, so you have to hold the log in place, unless it's under 6". Most of my wood is under 16" so they aren't too heavy to heave up. I look at it this way. If I didn't have the splitter my back would have been really hurting after doing it all by hand. Now I just need to get down in the woods and get the 2011-12 supply knocked down.

Backwoods Savage said:
Okay Jake if you insist on making your back give out sooner rather than later. But I'll still razz you over it.

OK, it's a deal. ;) I'll continue to split horizontally and you'll split vertically and when my back gives out you are given permission to give me a hard time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.