Great draft on my new stove but is my heat going up the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishteacher

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
In our new home, an old, renovated, but well insulated, Chesapeake Bay cottage, my new Jotul 3 sits on the first floor level of a two-story high open foyer with a chimney that goes straight up 20 feet to the ceiling. The draft is great. the interior double walled pipe looks great all the way up. But I'm wondering where all my heat is going. This foyer surrounds an open stairway that leads up to the upstairs bedrooms almost loft-like. We put a ceiling fan in up there anticipating our install. The rest of downstairs is an open floor plan with 8 ft. ceilings. Our heat pump (yuck) return duct is at the top of this same foyer. The stove burns nicely although it goes through wood no matter where the damper is positioned. Today's our first real wintery day, and I'm stoking this thing like Casey Jones with resulting house temps of about 68. I'm afraid the heat is either trapped at the top of this two story foyer or going up the too- well drafted chimney. Am I asking too much of this stove? Is the home design (@1800 square feet) and stove placement incorrect? Do I have just too much draft to radiate meaningful heat without it all going up the chimney? I've been burning for many years so I have at least a partial clue, but I'm trying to get my mind around all the many variables here; our old house was a boxy (but nice ) cape cod where our small steel stove warmed the family room nicely but little else. This is my first cast iron and first "open" floor plan.

I think you are getting most of the heat from the stove and then from the pipe - but that little stove in the middle of ALL that space and the 20 foot ceiling....well, you are asking it to do a big job in this weather!

I would guess on heat trapped at the ceiling and large cubic spaces to heat - as opposed to losing it all up the chimney.

Do you have a ceiling fan at the top of the high ceiling? If yes, look for a small switch on the side of it. That is the reverse switch. Switch it so that the fan blows upward and leave it running while the stove is going. If you don't have a ceiling fan, one may need to be installed in order to break up the heat accumulation that is occurring at the high point of the ceiling. You could try to turn on the heat pumps -fan only-, but that is not a good long term solution.

If you have a standard table fan, put it on the floor near the center of the room and tilt the fan head backwards as far as it will go so that it is blowing upward toward the ceiling. Try running it on low and see if that helps raise the floor level temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.