Great place ya got here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adios Pantalones

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I'm running a Regency insert (got rid of the old Titan log boiler/creosote still in the basement), Stihl 260 pro, and just got a big honkin 33 ton wood splitter. (yes, I am bragging on the splitter).

I also have a home-built wood fired pottery kiln- gets to about 2370 F, and I burn about a cord and a half or so of mixed wood in about 30 hours. Hot enough that the wood ash melts when it hits the pots inside. Fire blowing out the chimney 15 feet up. Now that's fun!

If you're unlucky, I might post my recently penned terrible "Ode to a cord and a half of white oak". Sort of Vogon poetry.

Anyway- Just wanted to "delurk" and say that I love this place. Lots of good info.

-pH

Welcome Adios. Do you cut all the wood that you burn? Hopefully you have your own woodlot if you do. That is a lot of wood to go through. Now I have to ask, are you talking about a full cord or a face cord? Big difference, but even if you are talking about a face cord, that is a lot of wood in 30 hours.

Full cord and a half. I have 2 acres and took out lots of really big white pines- I dropped them so that most are laying across eachother off the ground. I split them into 38-40" lengths. The firebox is 40.5" long with bricks sticking out the ends to act as hobs (fire grate)- so I can also just cut 40" long pallets into pieces and throw them in there. to supplement (pallets burn soooo nice). Any waste wood, brush, etc gets broken up and thrown in with the bigger pieces.

I have hippies that take the overnight shift- they drink beer and play Bob Marley whilst they stoke (the fire). We only fire maybe 4 times a year- takes a lot of pottery to fill a 40 cu ft kiln. Really big kilns- like many Japanese style anagamas may require 6 cord to fire, and can take upwards of 4-5 days!

Thanks for the welcome, all

Stay right there. Craig is in the basement digging out his tie-dyes and headband and will be there shortly.

Adios Pantalones said:
Hot enough that the wood ash melts when it hits the pots inside. Fire blowing out the chimney 15 feet up. Now that's fun!
15ft sticks for the marshmallows..... You sound like my kind of Pyro. Big controlled outside fires!! Welcome aboard!!

The firebox maintains a coal bed, but the wood suspended on the hobs is the primary fuel. Air is pulled through the woodstack from the TOP, essentially burning upside down. As the fire approaches the coals, it is super-heated.

Firebox- looking at the exit flues
Great place ya got here

Full view- with the brick door piled
Great place ya got here

Firebox- with construction mess. Air control is mostly acheived by pulling out bricks
Great place ya got here

Stoking: even at over 2000 F- the firebox top is normally cool because the wood charge acts as an insulator from radiant heat, and airflow directs the flame down and into the kiln
Great place ya got here

Here's me maintaining a small fire at the start- don't want to heat up pots too quick or you get steam explosions
Great place ya got here

Fire Gud.
Great place ya got here

Need to wear goggles- it gets hot enough that the radiation would damage your eyes:
Great place ya got here

Oooohhhhh, baby...drool. There are plenty of spare hippies here in Athens.

We don't actually BURN the hippies- though my wife may suggest it if they leave a mess and raid the refrigerator again next firing.

At the back of the ware chamber is a collection box- unburned gases mix here before they hit the chimney. If I need to slow down draft, I can pull out bricks here that allow air into the collection box as a passive damping (acts as a natural post-combustor as well- very clean burning for most of the firing), or I have a slab that I can push into the chimney as an active damper. This is just a design suggestion for anyone that wants to smelt with woodfire, or dispose of evidence- post combustion keeps the neighbors happy.

I'm no arteest myself. Just a lowly engineer trying to make a living amongst a bunch of hippies :)

Mike from Athens said:
I'm no arteest myself. Just a lowly engineer trying to make a living amongst a bunch of hippies :)

with all of his noodley appendages. ;-)

Oh, and welcome aboard Adios! I heard that burning hippies doesn't actually create many btus. Their outer crust acts as an insulator and slows the burning too much.

Jags said:
Oh, and welcome aboard Adios! I heard that burning hippies doesn't actually create many btus. Their outer crust acts as an insulator and slows the burning too much.

Bahhhhhahahaha...don't want to send this to the ash can, but outer crust!!! Priceless.

Good to see pictures of that monster. I've got to get over there and see it in person.

Wow- big coincidence eh Chris?

Hope the new Stihl is working out for ya. My dad has volunteered his pickup for wood duty- so we should hit Craigs List and pitch in on a few free loads soon.

For the rest of you- all the BTU's are really in the dreadlocks

Adios Pantalones said:

Hope the new Stihl is working out for ya. My dad has volunteered his pickup for wood duty- so we should hit Craigs List and pitch in on a few free loads soon.

What a breath of fresh air!! Psss- we need some new and better stirring in the Ash Can. Com`on give it a stir. And hey, I`m wishing for David Cook, not the little talented weasal. Betcha this is the last post here on this site, do I smell ashes coming??

sonnyinbc said:
Adios Pantalones said:

What a breath of fresh air!! Psss- we need some new and better stirring in the Ash Can. Com`on give it a stir. And hey, I`m wishing for David Cook, not the little talented weasal. Betcha this is the last post here on this site, do I smell ashes coming??

Sorry, but he killed it tonight. Cook will get a more desirable contract, so I guess that can be considered a win on its own.

myzamboni said:
sonnyinbc said:

Sorry, but he killed it tonight. Cook will get a more desirable contract, so I guess that can be considered a win on its own.

????????
I guess I need Pook to translate this for me..............I'm lost

American Idol obsession... it's an acquired taste.

BrotherBart said:
Stay right there. Craig is in the basement digging out his tie-dyes and headband and will be there shortly.

HAHAHAHA Bart, U so bad
His tie-dies never were retired. Just full of holes they are so worn out ;)
Course, he don't need the head bands no mo. ;)

Adios Pantalones,

A personal question if I may...

Your screen name contradicts the posted photograph where you are obviously with your pantalones on.
Was that photo taken before you decided to go about pant-less, or am I missing something?

Cheers!

myzamboni said:
sonnyinbc said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Ha,ha, I just can`t resist. and by 12 million votes. Told ya so. :p

I actually drew the pants on after the picture was taken. Family site and all
:coolsmile:
Ah, thank you. Now I understand. Very considerate, I'm sure the moderators would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.