Green Flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kserr

Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2008
western Ma
Has anybody seen a green flame before? I'm burning Lignetics in a St Croix pellet stove 5th season usually have good luck with them but this year they are making solid clinkers in burn pot and last nite when I woke up to check the flame had a green color. Whats up with that?

Uh thats great but I wasn't using any of that. So what r u saying there was a contaminent in my pellets?

Copper based likely.

ETA: It is wood and trees soak up water and all kinds of trace amounts of metals. So it is a perfectly natural occurrence (normally).

Reactions: heat seeker
Hi,
I have been burning some old timbers from the villiage pub that was demolished last year, some of the timbers had copper nails in them, I noticed when burning the copper nails made green flames so maybe some copper got in there somehow.

Billy.

Hi,
I have been burning some old timbers from the villiage pub that was demolished last year, some of the timbers had copper nails in them, I noticed when burning the copper nails made green flames so maybe some copper got in there somehow.

Billy.
Hi,

Billy.
Well I figured it had to be something in the pellets haven't seen it again but it was before I took the solid clinker out and after that it was fine
Why is it that some pellets burn better than others anyway? I know I tried Barefoot pellets and had to bring them back wouldn't run in my stove at all.

Odds are there was a high cooper content in the soil the tree grew in weather it was natural or added? Could have been in the fertilizer they used to help the trees grow. Or maybe it was a treated lumber they got the fiber from? Anyone's guess.

Cooper is selling pretty high I think you should but another ton of pellets and bring them to the scrap metal dealer near you for a profit.

Reactions: Augmister
Cooper is selling pretty high I think you should but another ton of pellets and bring them to the scrap metal dealer near you for a profit.

Likely not enough to make a penny would be my bet.

If you go searching around you'll discover there are other things that produce green flames but copper compounds are the more prevalent ones.

They get used as fungicides in both liquid and powdered form.

I have seen the "green flame" and thought they were Irish Pellets....sorry to know it was only copper.;em

I wonder if salts could cause a greenish flame. Lignetics is down south and maybe using wood from a high salt content soil. I have also seen others say clinker ville with the lignetics.

Are these the green label ligs?

Status
Not open for further replies.