Green mountain 40 alternatives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Hey everyone, I’m entertaining the idea of trading out my Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 for something that is a tick larger and non catalytic.

I burn almost 24/7 and use the stove as the primary heat source. I live in Connecticut and my house is just under 1600 SF and is a bit drafty.

With all of that being said I am looking for a work horse that is also pretty. I want to load it with dry wood, scoop ash, and clean the chimney…. that’s it. I really don’t want to mess with the maintenance associated with cats even if it costs me a little extra wood. Also the stove is in the living room so I want it to be attractive.

So far the PE Alderlea T4 seems like a strong contender. I also like the jotul f45 but I fear it will stick out into the room a bit to far.

I’m also really liking the tight clearances of the GM40 With a double wall connecter I can get it pretty snug agains the wall and still be approved.

Are there any other solid options out there?

The F45 would work. In PE, go for the T5, not the T4. It has a larger square firebox that is not too large for that space. You will appreciate the ability to comfortably load N/S. If the place is drafty a T6 would even work, but sealing up the leaks would be better.

Are you opposed to used? The older non-cat Jotul F500 are workhorse stoves that crank out the heat with no fuss. Can be had for $1-2000 depending on condition.

Problem is I cant have a stove that sticks out that far into the room away from the wall, it would intrude. The dimensions of f45 would be awkward in this room which is a shame because I like the stove. I’d love something that has a side loading door and a nice big glass front door (kind of like the older hearth stones) but I really want to stay away from cats and soap stone.

The F45 would work. In PE, go for the T5, not the T4. It has a larger square firebox that is not too large for that space. You will appreciate the ability to comfortably load N/S. If the place is drafty a T6 would even work, but sealing up the leaks would be better.
Is the Super LE essentially the same specs as the T5? I’ve been doing some due diligence and that would be a direct drop in. My current connector pipe would hook right up and would meet all of the clearance requirements with no modification.

Hey everyone, I’m entertaining the idea of trading out my Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 for something that is a tick larger and non catalytic.

I burn almost 24/7 and use the stove as the primary heat source. I live in Connecticut and my house is just under 1600 SF and is a bit drafty.

With all of that being said I am looking for a work horse that is also pretty. I want to load it with dry wood, scoop ash, and clean the chimney…. that’s it. I really don’t want to mess with the maintenance associated with cats even if it costs me a little extra wood. Also the stove is in the living room so I want it to be attractive.

So far the PE Alderlea T4 seems like a strong contender. I also like the jotul f45 but I fear it will stick out into the room a bit to far.

I’m also really liking the tight clearances of the GM40 With a double wall connecter I can get it pretty snug agains the wall and still be approved.

Sorry this isn’t an answer to your question, but I’m curious if there was any major problems with the GM 40 that has you looking for something else? I am considering buying a GM 40 but curious to hear from people like yourself that have/had one.

Is the Super LE essentially the same specs as the T5? I’ve been doing some due diligence and that would be a direct drop in. My current connector pipe would hook right up and would meet all of the clearance requirements with no modification.

The Super and T5 are the same stove. The T5 had added cast iron cladding to the outside.

If you find a blaze king princess to trade me, you can have my GM60 😂

• Love
Reactions: stoveliker

I just visited a dealer here Wyoming that had the larger 8" Heartstone, think was GM80. If you have an 8" system, would that work? It had a really nice look, large glass viewing area and larger FB.

OP indicated he wanted something larger and non-catalytic.

T5 with the enamel finish. Jotul might not get delivered this year.

Cannot go wrong wit the T5 or Super. Look how long Begreen & I have been running our stoves -- what?, close to 15 yrs?
I doubt there is a stove out their that is simpler/easier/cheaper to maintain than the PE baffle system.

Reactions: Rob_Red
I’ve seen firebrick baffles that are super durable.
Is anyone still doing this in new stoves? Lopi used to use firebrick but I don't think it's in the new stoves.

The little Century S244 has a combination of bricks (rear) and perforated baffle up front. Unless that has changed recently.

Rob_Red, I know this thread is a year old now... did you ever make a decision? I'd buy the Green Mountain 40 off of you if you still have it.

Last edited by a moderator: