Green Mountain 40 handle orientation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

700c

Mar 9, 2023
North Carolina
Owners of the Green Mountain 40: I am considering installing this stove in an existing fireplace. It checks all the boxes in terms of aesthetics and performance and would be a perfect fit in the firebox *except* for the catalyst bypass handle. Based on my measurements, the handle would contact the masonry when positioned toward the rear of the stove. The exploded parts diagram for the stove appears to show that this handle is attached with a set screw to a rod that turns the baffle. My question is if it's possible to reorient this handle, ie, have it face down or forward instead of backward when engaged. If so, I'm certain the stove will fit. If not I'd either have to position the stove off center of the hearth (not ideal) or shorten the wood portion of the handle (probably doable, but not sure I have the skills to pull it off). Any insight would be much appreciated.

Owners of the Green Mountain 40: I am considering installing this stove in an existing fireplace. It checks all the boxes in terms of aesthetics and performance and would be a perfect fit in the firebox *except* for the catalyst bypass handle. Based on my measurements, the handle would contact the masonry when positioned toward the rear of the stove. The exploded parts diagram for the stove appears to show that this handle is attached with a set screw to a rod that turns the baffle. My question is if it's possible to reorient this handle, ie, have it face down or forward instead of backward when engaged. If so, I'm certain the stove will fit. If not I'd either have to position the stove off center of the hearth (not ideal) or shorten the wood portion of the handle (probably doable, but not sure I have the skills to pull it off). Any insight would be much appreciated.
My suggestion is don't stuff a freestanding stove inside a fireplace if you want a stove in a fireplace get an insert which is designed for the purpose. They have a shroud and blower to direct the heat out of the firebox. They also have all the controls on the front so you can operate them

bholler, you're not wrong. The reason for the freestanding stove is largely aesthetic - it's a very old, historic house and we don't want to close up the fireboxes completely. We have a freestanding stove (Jotul F100) in another fireplace and are happy with it both in terms of aesthetics and performance. I would have bought another of those in a heartbeat, but it's been discontinued, so I'm on the hunt for an alternative. The Hearthstone stove would fit with plenty of room to spare for everything except the catalyst handle.