Green Mountain 40 starting fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

outdoorguy864

Jan 18, 2020
I'm posting this video because it seems some people have a big struggle with starting this stove due to draft issues or something. My chimney is all double wall, straight, about 20 feet tall. I have always started fires this way since I installed it about 3 years ago. Stove works really well for its size i feel like and maybe this video will help some out there. I always, leave the door shut and latched, bypass open of course and air open. Not sure you can really tell in the video, but i also start at the bottom with two small thick north and south placed pieces, this allows air to enter in the center, move to the back and roll up to the top. I am able to get the stove fully up to temp before adding wood to the coals.

20ft straight up is close to ideal for this stove. Did you close the bypass shortly after this video or turn down the air?

Reactions: outdoorguy864