Green Mountain 60 - air control position question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rashomon

Jan 14, 2018
Denver, CO
This is our first winter with our new Green Mountain 60. I just found this forum and somehow already have an account although I forgot about this place when we decided to buy a stove this past winter, oh well. It was an easy sell because it looked nice and had good specs but I didn't spend forever researching like I usually do.
In the manual it explains the position settings are:
low is when the air control lever is pushed all the way in.
Medium low is just under 1/4" out.
Medium high is just under 1/2"
High is when it's pulled all the way out.

The thing is.... The lever comes out a full 1.25".

So does this mean it goes all the way from Low to Medium-High in less than 0.5". And then from medium-high to high in 0.75"!?

This is our first winter with our new Green Mountain 60. I just found this forum and somehow already have an account although I forgot about this place when we decided to buy a stove this past winter, oh well. It was an easy sell because it looked nice and had good specs but I didn't spend forever researching like I usually do.
In the manual it explains the position settings are:
low is when the air control lever is pushed all the way in.
Medium low is just under 1/4" out.
Medium high is just under 1/2"
High is when it's pulled all the way out.

The thing is.... The lever comes out a full 1.25".

So does this mean it goes all the way from Low to Medium-High in less than 0.5". And then from medium-high to high in 0.75"!?
Yes, that was just mentioned in another thread. Air control is not linear. As the draft gets stronger with a hotter stove, the velocity of air going through the air control increases.

Reactions: rashomon
Yes, that was just mentioned in another thread. Air control is not linear. As the draft gets stronger with a hotter stove, the velocity of air going through the air control increases.
oh! Ha. Thanks. I'll keep poking around to find it.

I found this thread which you may have been referring to. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...d-before-closing-primary.195556/#post-2627957
interesting.

Also interesting is how much thought and energy you all have put into this! My stove has been working wonderfully. And incedentally I have been measuring STT for fun as i've been learning this. (Although it took me 10 min to figure out what you all meant by STT).
I don't have a flue thermometer, it's double walled all the way up. I just put a blower on my stove and noticed it decreases STT dramatically depending on what speed my fan is on.

Unlike the person who posted that thread I linked, I have not been paying attention to secondary burning, char of any new wood I add, or the temp of when to add it. I just add when I need more heat. I notice the secondary and open the air control when it looks like the fire is going too low. I'm not sure what else I ought to be paying attention to if it's that important.

I've also made a habit of prematurely engaging the catalyst which may be a no no. It's just my fire burns out every night with the bypass closed, so I figured whats the harm if I start a really good fire and closing it early-- it certainly heats the catalyst up faster.

Maybe I should mention I only have Pine because I live in a pine forest. I do try to get my catalyst temp past the mid point to help burn the creosote.

Last edited: