Green wood in shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Probably already know the answer but it’s worth a shot …

I have oak , hickory , and some sugar maple that a local farmer cleared some fence rows and some small patches of woods this summer . He’s limbed everything and even stacked the logs for me with easy access .
Doesn’t get any easier than this !

Question is would you cut/split / and stack this in a wood shed ? I have always let the green wood season outdoors . My woodshed has been filled with dead standing ash for years so never tried green wood . Wood shed is a round barn with ventilation on all sides .

I'd use a wood shed if available.

All mine goes in a woodshed
Keeps rain and snow off it

it depends when you need it. If not for 3 years, you can leave it outside. Preferably off the ground, without leaves falling on them so they keep somewhat dry.
If you do want to use it sooner, then I'd split, stack in a shed now.

Basically, I'd put it in a shed (split) 3 years before you need it. What happens before that is not that important as long as you can avoid rot (i.e. off ground, some wind). Maybe debark them - avoids more bugs.

I guess I was worried that green wood would mold somewhat . I’ve got plenty of room for it . It would save on handling it twice .

Reactions: EbS-P
If you have room to stack it split and covered, then you're good for sure.

Some mold does not matter. I have some moldy wood now. Been stacked covered for 3 summers. But it was a wet mess here this year. I won't bring much to store inside because of the mold. But as long as it's dry enough inside (on a resplit fresh surface) it'll be just fine.

There is a thread about fuzzy wood here.

Throw it in the shed, it'll still dry.

Probably already know the answer but it’s worth a shot …

I have oak , hickory , and some sugar maple that a local farmer cleared some fence rows and some small patches of woods this summer . He’s limbed everything and even stacked the logs for me with easy access .
Doesn’t get any easier than this !

Question is would you cut/split / and stack this in a wood shed ? I have always let the green wood season outdoors . My woodshed has been filled with dead standing ash for years so never tried green wood . Wood shed is a round barn with ventilation on all sides .
Your wood is seasoning outdoors even if its in a wood shed. A wood shed is not temperature controlled. Green weed seasons well in a shed. All my wood is green going in the shed and seasons well

Reactions: MissMac
Me . . . I like to handle my wood as much as I can so I stack it outside for a year or two . . . and then move it into the woodshed to season an additional year or two. When I start pulling wood from the shed I know it is ready to go without any doubt in my mind (or a moisture meter).

If you have the space, stack the rows in the shed with spacers in between the rows. Just set aside uncut branches and pile them in with the standard splits to space between the rows. That stiffens up the piles from falling over but gets a lot more air flow between the stacks. BTW, a wood shed only needs a wall on the prevailing weather side. I have an open roof supported by four posts. It closed on the prevailing wind end with the back open except for some cross braces. The downwind side is always open and the front gets a tarp over it in winter.

As long as there is ventilation you should be good. A roof overhead, and slats that stay open or can be opened works. Think of tobacco sheds (slatted sides, goes in green, comes out dry and cured, but not moldy), or cob corn (goes in damp, has slats for sides and a partition down the middle for ventalation and to prevent mold).

Reactions: kennyp2339