Greenwood draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
When I checked my draft in Dec. it was over 20 pascals. I decreased the height of my chimney by 3 ft by taking off a section. I noticed last night that the inside of my chimney and the baro damper is coated with creosote. So does this mean that I need more draft? It seemed to be burn great at -20 but it is warmer now.(0 to +10) My wood is really dry so I am surprised at the amount of creosote build up.
Thanks

djblech
Greenwood 100

I'm not familiar with pascals. It was explained to me that if you have too much draft, that the speed of the smoke through the refractory can make it so that it is not completely ignited by the refractory before it goes up the chimney. So creosote buildup could be a sign of too much draft.

When I had too little draft, I experienced smoke seepage out where the sides, top, and front join together. Another symptom I noticed when I had too little draft was that the sides were unusually hot.

I took the back off the furnace and cleaned everything. My black pipe that connects to the class a was plugged. I checked the temp on the outside of the black pipe when the damper was open and it was ony 200*. I don't think I was getting hot enough to burn the creosote. I added the 3 ft of class A and adjusted my damper and now I have way less smoke coming out the chimney. The GW manual says .05- .07 wc (I think) or 12 to 18 pascals.( This is a digital meter that I borrowed.) When I checked it I didn't have the barometric draft and it was windy, I was up to 22 pascals. Now my black pipe temp is up to 300* when the damper is open.

djblech
Greenwood 100

how blocked was the pipe? how did the bottom section of the heat exchanger look ? i have noticed that when my stove gets up to temp, istillam getting draft readings higher than what greenwood recomends. i must have some air leakage at a few places? i am going to let it burn out when we get a day or two of warm weather and take off the pipe and have look at the inside of the smke outlet pipe.i seem to be burning very hot as the inside of the fire fire box is nice and clean and all iget on the water tubes is just soot. no creosote at all. the top of my pipe is just heat singed in color no sign of any build up. i have 3 - four foot sections of double wall pipe with a cap that just has a top,no spark screen.about 6 feet of single wall inside the building.knock on wood so far so good.getting use able hot water up to 11 hours.almost can go on two loads a day. how are things in minn. we got agood foot of snow yesterday.made for a day of clean up .

djblech said:
I took the back off the furnace and cleaned everything. My black pipe that connects to the class a was plugged. I checked the temp on the outside of the black pipe when the damper was open and it was ony 200*. I don't think I was getting hot enough to burn the creosote. I added the 3 ft of class A and adjusted my damper and now I have way less smoke coming out the chimney. The GW manual says .05- .07 wc (I think) or 12 to 18 pascals.( This is a digital meter that I borrowed.) When I checked it I didn't have the barometric draft and it was windy, I was up to 22 pascals. Now my black pipe temp is up to 300* when the damper is open.

djblech
Greenwood 100

Did you look up inside the Greenwood at the four air intake tubes? Sometimes you can get some buildup there that you can knock off.

It was -22 again last night. Stoked at 11:00. At 6:00 am had hot coals and water temp was down to 142. The fire box was much cleaner with fine ash. The furnace returns to temp much faster now. I can't believe how much less smoke their is. I took off the plate with the intake tubes and cleaned them. Kind of a pain getting the tubes lined up with the refractory. Haven't had any snow here for a while, just cold. I figured I had 9 cord of wood in my shed to start. Less than 4 cord left. I started cutting for next year, dropped about 12 birch and maple trees. I am definately not going to split anything this year. I wasted alot of time last year. I can't wait for temps to just get back above 0. It should be easier to heat then.

djblech
Greenwood 100

Status
Not open for further replies.