Grey patch on top of wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

New Stove Guy 2020

Nov 27, 2020
Sea to Sky, BC
Earlier this evening I let my (new - 3 weeks ago) woodstove get a little hotter than I typically do after re-stocking the firebox, around 800F (which as I read these forums understand that this isn't a temperature to necessarily be concerned about). I adjusted the air intake to get the temperature down to the sweet spot that I was after. I have just noticed a slight discolouration patch on the top of the stove (see image). Wondering what your thoughts are and whether this is anything to be concerned about. I guess my primary concerns are:
  • Is this indicative of any damage?
  • Would you expect this discolouration to fade?
  • If cosmetic, can this be touched up?
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

PXL_20201128_031222684.MP.jpg

Looks like it got a bit toasting and maybe over 800F there for a bit. What stove is this? Is there a catalyst under that spot?

It got hot in that spot. That model regency is a hybrid stove, it's a traditional tube stove with a catalyst added to cleanup emissions.

That spot is the exact same spot my non-catalyst tube stove gets hottest as well. It's possible the other areas of the stove might fade to match. Otherwise some else will have to recommend what's best to repair this.

How hot did the catalyst thermometer read?

It's probably fine. New catalysts tend to be a little lively at first, but they settle down. If nothing has warped in the firebox then I wouldn't worry about it. Just close down the air sooner next time.

By eye. If it helps, hold a straight edge up against surfaces like the tube or air deflector.

It's probably fine. New catalysts tend to be a little lively at first, but they settle down. If nothing has warped in the firebox then I wouldn't worry about it. Just close down the air sooner next time.

He said the cat wasn’t engaged though. Why on earth not?

He said the cat wasn’t engaged though. Why on earth not?

The stove had been running during the day down to coals. I'd opened the stove to restock with wood - so had disengaged cat and kept it disengaged until it hit temperature. That's when it got a bit hot.

I should have attended to the damper and engaged the cat sooner.

The stove had been running during the day down to coals. I'd opened the stove to restock with wood - so had disengaged cat and kept it disengaged until it hit temperature. That's when it got a bit hot.

I should have attended to the damper and engaged the cat sooner.

Oh good, some new users are under the impression that the cat is optional for just when they need extra heat or something. Like “engage the afterburners” on a fighter jet. That cat should be engaged ASAP. Every time.

But yes, accidents happen. My stove can be very damaged by forgetting to engage the cat. More so than just by high heat.

Have let the stove go cold now and held a straightedge across the top. Looks like it is very slightly warped. Any recommendations on further things to inspect?
Post a picture or two of the upper interior of the stove.

I have a grey faded spot like that on top of my stove where my catalyst is (I have a blaze king). I don't know if that's a bad thing or not - I assume it's there because that's where the cat is, and that cat gets hot.

I think it was just run with the bypass open too long and got a little extra hot in that spot.

Inside of the stove - air tubes and baffles seem ok, and stove is running normally, although I have woken up to a vibrating/humming sound after an all night burn with the damper closed last 2 nights. Humming goes away when damper is opened a little. Wasn't humming before so guessing perhaps the bypass rod or something may have got warped? Any ideas on what that could be?

When you say "damper open a little" are you referring to the bypass damper or the air control?