Griddle door won't open all the way when in horizontal mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
We had our first fire of the season last night. Once it got going good, I wanted to add some wood through the griddle door. It would not open all the way. It snagged about 3/4 way open in the same position as if I was trying to open it in vertical burn mode.

I discovered that, if I operate the damper handle and move the damper down just a little, I can then open the griddle all the way, allowing me to add wood from the top. The damper feels like it's making full metal-to-metal contact fully open or fully closed, so it's not acting as if excessive ask on the shelf is impeding it's movement.

Any suggestions?

Well, I feel stupid but I’ll ‘fess up.

The reason the griddle tip wouldn’t open all the way with the damper set to horizontal burn is because it’s NOT SUPPOSED TO!!

It’s only suppose to be able to open all the way in Vertical burn mode.

It was the first burn of the year but I’ve owned the stove for twelve years. I should know better.

i think it would smoke a bit into the house:(