Guess the fresh split % moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
went out and dug my way in to the wood pile to try to split some of the rounds I got cut befor the snow came. Thought I would have some fun with them.
image_zpsagkvvouk.jpe

I have 4 splits of black cherry 3 white ash and 4 black locust. They are all warming up by the stove. What's your best guess what the % moisture on each will be.
image.jpg

Black cherry was cut down about 3 weeks ago
Ash was cut down in early December
Black locust was cut down in August.

All were cut in to rounds last week.

The black locust was a standing tree with no bark on 90% of the tree when cut.
Ash and black cherry were live trees when cut down

I would guess they are pretty dry by that nice fire of yours;)

BL - 21
Ash - 30
BC - 37

BL =17%
Ash=24%
Cherry=31%

Just a guess...so what's the prize for the best guesser?

Ash was at 36
Black cherry was a 32
Black locust was at 21

Looks like I'll be burning that locust right away

If I cut a sugar maple right now I am sure I could get a reading that would be off the scale.

Ash was at 36
Black cherry was a 32
Black locust was at 21

Looks like I'll be burning that locust right away

I'm not a fan of Black Locust until it gets closer to 15%. It struggles in my stove if its over 20%.

I'm not a fan of Black Locust until it gets closer to 15%. It struggles in my stove if its over 20%.
I find the higher the BTU, the drier I need it to burn well.

You do have dry wood other than this little experiment I assume and hope for your sake!
Yes I have other dry wood. It's not as dry as I would like but it's much dryer then this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.