Guy on CL just tried to beat me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
frankly, for most retailers, this isnt uncommon. You can be the cheapest price in 200 miles, and folks will still try and talk you down. A few gems...:

"Whats MY price now......?"
"I have a cousin of a coworker who bought his stove 12 years ago and paid $200 less than this......you can do better"
"My local guy is $.03 less...."
"Lemme take them today, I will be in tomorrow to pay you...."
"I will leave a check on the door....."
"The check is in the mail...."
"I have good credit...I think...."
"I know its 2am, and I know I bought it from the competition, but its cold out, Ive got old ladies and babies in here freezing to death, and Im sure the stove is underwarrantee, and the law says you HAVE to service me NOW, and oh, yea, Im not paying for a service call....."

It never hurts to ask for a discount. I don't think my wife has paid retail for anything in 10 years. More money for me to spend on pellets and beer.

Reactions: roadrunnermoore
It never hurts to ask for a discount. I don't think my wife has paid retail for anything in 10 years. More money for me to spend on pellets and beer.
It was the way he did it and when? You want to ask for a discount then ask, but don't make it look like your doing me a favor by buying them. And ask prior to me loading them on your truck, not after so you think you got me by the shorthairs.(by the way OMV that's a pretty sweet deal that you load them also)

Reactions: oldmountvernon
It was the way he did it and when? You want to ask for a discount then ask, but don't make it look like your doing me a favor by buying them. And ask prior to me loading them on your truck, not after so you think you got me by the shorthairs.(by the way OMV that's a pretty sweet deal that you load them also)
Exactly paul, no one coming here is doing me a favor, i dont need to sell them or need the money imo im doing them a favor
you cant buy them for what i was getting rid of them for they are 280 anywhere else
you should of seen the guy while i was walking away and towards my house LOL he was just standing there in shock

I understand that 100%. I am just saying it never hurts to try, and yes, there is a right way and a wrong way.

And the guy was serious. im sure its known i like to joke around, i can tell the difference. he thought he had me over a barrel because they were on his trailer already

Exactly paul, no one coming here is doing me a favor, i dont need to sell them or need the money imo im doing them a favor
you cant buy them for what i was getting rid of them for they are 280 anywhere else
you should of seen the guy while i was walking away and towards my house LOL he was just standing there in shock
Should've taken a pic, that would've been classic.

What an idiot! The customer I mean. There is a way to ask for a discount and that way was insulting, IMO .

Wow... You are much calmer than I.

I would have prob flipped immediately! "Your gonna give me $480 or say hello.to my . 40 cal".

I envisioned pretty bad things. Well played.

That dude prob called you a D-bag the whole ride home. :)

I would have prob flipped immediately! "Your gonna give me $480 or say hello.to my . 40 cal".

He's probably on this forum reading about himself! Laying low.

Reactions: sinnian

not my usual self but like i said i thought about it for a minute and for once i have to say that was way more satisfying then sitting there fighting or arguing about it

Reactions: Eatonpcat
almost always in my back pocket
hu2b2d.jpg

If you try to rob me and ask for my wallet, your in a world of chit,considering i dont carry one ;)

I have one of those little .380 sweethearts too but the darn thing hurts my finger every time I shoot it! Two handed hold and all. Can't figure it out. My .40 is much better. Makes a bigger hole on the back side, too!!! :p

I was selling a car on CraigsList and two guys showed up to look at it and wanted to take it for a drive. One guy went to get in the back with me in the front and I said 'No, I'll sit in the back' and let him see the .40 cal on my hip. They were very polite after that. :)

Always at my side.
DSC01174.jpg

very cool story, but what would you have done if he said he didnt want the third ton just wanted the two so no need to rearrange the pallets?

then i would of said the price is 240 no negotiating

So the guy comes here and wants 2 ton. i load 2 on his trailer, being the trusting guy i never ask for money til after. So i loadem up.
the guy says so since i bought 2 ton ill give you 200 per ton. instead of 240 per ton
I think for a minute puzzled.
I tell the guy , Hey you have room for another ton on there if i move the pallets around and since you are taking 3 ton i will only charge you 100 for the third, so 500 for 3 ton.
He says great.
So i unload them shut the machine off, and say GTFO of here lol. he says buddy i was only kidding.
I said ya me too, sit in your truck and ill load you when i get back from the bahamas

LMAO!! Good move!

Yeah but if he looked in the mirror he would have seen who the real D-bag was!

Reactions: DexterDay
I love it! Way to go OMV.

good job.. I would not have been that quick/stealthy

I must be to nice or honest last pellets I bought the dealer called me back a week later as he had lost my check. I said no problem and dropped off a new one. I usually have to chase after him at the loading area to give him a check to.

been in retail a long time, and still see new things each day. One thing Ive learned though, is get paid for AHEAD of time, before you go to the trouble of loading, and then maybe have to UNLOAD. yup.....paid for AHEAD of time.......works for me......and I dont care what kinda hardware is on your hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.