Hackberry score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
20190702_161830.jpg

Picked up a load of free hackberry rounds sitting along the road with a few other random pieces thrown in. Anyone have experience burning hackberry? If so how did you like it?

I've burned some, it's okay but nothing like Oak or Ash or Hedge. That said its free so why not? Have a ton of it around me but don't see much around from storm damage or standing dead otherwise so don't get to burn much of it. I believe it dries out fast but might be too late to use for 2019-2020 season.

Reactions: TheAardvark
Last winter I burned a few cord of hackberry. Like said above...middle of the road wood. Less than oak but better than soft maple.

I got a couple large rounds a few years ago.... I gave up trying to split it. Will never get it again... lol

I got a couple large rounds a few years ago.... I gave up trying to split it. Will never get it again... lol
It is tough to split....I avoid it.

Yeah....i was able to split the perfect pieces. The rest was noodled because any small knot made it very difficult. I dont mind noodling though, because it provides free mulch.