Had an oil delivery today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
This is the first year that I have had 2 stoves going and was very interested in finding out how much oil I would need during the cold weather. When we first moved the old owners didn't use the stove and used 1500 gallons a year. the next year we used the stove part time and burned 800. The next year it was using one stove every night and all weekend and down to 500 gallons. This year I got filled up 9/29/08 and just got filled up again and used 144 gallons! DHW is run off the furnace and we use about 25 gallons a month in the summer just for DHW. We have used 36 gallons a month during the coldest months of the year and the coldest January that I can remember in Maine. Pretty happy with that!

Nice job !!!

I'm sticking the tank tomorrow. I've got that "feeling" about the tank level !

That is awesome for the kind of climate you have to put up with in Maine. We have a much milder climate here on the west coast and still manage to burn up about 75 gallons a year. Least you are not one of those people that are saying--"never,never to buying oil". Use it sensibly along with the wood and you will be well served vis-a-vis comfort.+

I`m finding that the older I get, the less inclined to get up at 6 am to reload the wood insert, and less tolerant of those temps that drop below 60F during the night---hence, there will always be a place in this old house for that old (35 years) boiler. :)

I started burning 24x7 on Jan 1, 2009. My oil level was right at 1/4 full (68.75 gallons). I was down around 1/8 full (34 gallons) on 2/1. I added 100 gallons and it brought me up to 1/2 full (137 gallons).

I estimate I used 35 gallons in Jan. I can't believe I managed this in my first month of burning :)

michaelthomas said:
This is the first year that I have had 2 stoves going and was very interested in finding out how much oil I would need during the cold weather. When we first moved the old owners didn't use the stove and used 1500 gallons a year. the next year we used the stove part time and burned 800. The next year it was using one stove every night and all weekend and down to 500 gallons. This year I got filled up 9/29/08 and just got filled up again and used 144 gallons! DHW is run off the furnace and we use about 25 gallons a month in the summer just for DHW. We have used 36 gallons a month during the coldest months of the year and the coldest January that I can remember in Maine. Pretty happy with that!

I'm pretty happy as well with my oil consumption MT . . . I was at 3/4 of a tank of oil originally and the other day I was just a dite above 1/2 a tank. I figure I may eventually fill up the tank . . . but probably not until Summer . . . or if the price is right . . . as you said, I'm mighty happy considering the fact that a) this was my first year of burning and b) I haven't been adverse to letting the oil boiler run occasionally during the bitterly cold weather or on nights when I just didn't feel like getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning to stoke the fire.

I had my 200 gallon tank filled in August and I still have 5/8 tank left. The oil delivery guy told me that the previous owner had it filled twice every winter. I didn't start burning 24/7 until the beginning of January. Next year, I hope to use no oil.

I was on automatic delivery based on degree days, but my last delivery was 25 gallons which is good and bad. It's good because my wood stove has saved money otherwise spent on oil. It's bad because delivering to a tank that is almost full can result in an oil spill if the driver isn't on the ball. Fortunately, the oil guy was on the ball. I have since switched to "the call me before you deliver" (or I will call you)method so I can measure the amount of oil I have left. Since I replaced my doors, windows, roof, and siding, and then reinsulated the attic and installed my stove, I use very little oil (even with part time burning).

If you don't mind me adding my two cents. This is my first year burning wood. The past three years we've burned an average of 650 gallons of oil in our small, but old farm house. I've done some insulating and tightening up in that three years.

So far this winter we've burned all weekends, Christmas vacation (2 weeks) and many week nights (4-11pm). I've burned about 1.75 cords. Thermostat stays at 60 during the day while we're gone and 66 for one hour in the morning. I've burned about 240 gallons so far (only 84 gallons between Christmas eve and Feb 2). The oil company called today and told me I was due one more delivery and they figured with my 80 gallon average deliveries so far this year there was more than enough money to cover the last delivery and send me the remainder :cheese:

We've felt warmer this winter, both internally and externally, than ever. We're cutting our oil consumption and putting much of our fuel money into the pockets of local wood suppliers rather than the oil execs here and overseas. I'm an admitted novice, but I now understand the attraction to woodburning.

Happy Burning

This is my first year burning in this house. Second winter here in CT. We went from 800+ gallons last year to I'm guessing we will have 300 used by May. We burn evenings, weekends, and the occasional load it up at 4 am cuz the baby wants to see momma. This is a new house so the insulation is at least minimal code (not as good as you see in the Midwest but not bad).

Our goal is to limit the number of dollars sloshing over to some middle eastern dudes bomb fund.

KorasDad

This is our first year burning as well. We filled the oil tank back last april, still had more than 1/4 of a tank left a week ago when I had it refilled. 85% of the oil we used in the past year was for DHW. Cant complain $350 for a whole year. Beats the $1500 i was spending every year prior. Down side is I have blown through over 5 cords so far. Good thing i have another six left.

my first year as well had a delivery first week of nov. started burning third week of nov. oil man showed up first week of jan - 30 gal.oil gauge hasn't moved much since then. The wood is good.

i have a small rancher in north pole ak and used about 850 gallons of oil last year at about 4 dollars per gallon with just oil to keep my house at 65 degrees. i remodeled my house its now 5 star energy rated and has a cold fire boiler (only comes on when the system calls for heat not to keep its self warm all day). i have an osburn 1600 now in the living room. it keeps my whole house at leat 80 degrees and most time in the room with the stove 90. the wifey likes it so i dont complain. i have used 140 gallons since around septmeber. thats keeping my garage at 80 for our puppies and all the hot water. i have saved thousands already. the key though is see how much oil you use keeping your house at the same comfortable temperatures as you do with your stove. the savings almost double. i love it. i get all my wood for free or basicly for the price of the gas in my saw and splitter.

Mike,
Your hard work is paying off. Saw and chop early, reap the rewards come cold weather.
I'm getting a delivery pretty soon myself. Burned 123 gallons from Feb 2008 to Nov 2008.
I usually take around 90 gallons in my Feb delivery so that puts me around 213 gallons in a year......not to shabby.

Nice grapple load avatar.

WB

Am on track using about the same as last year which is about 500g over and above the amount needed for DHW. Prior to the stove we were going through 1500g.

The interesting part is that this year is 13% colder than last year and 2% colder than normal.

We used about 250 gallons by Thanksgiving. By New Years we installed the old stove we found in the barn. Since then, we have used oil at about 1/3 the previous rate. We've started insulating and tightening up the leaks, and hope to install a more efficient stove by next season so we can use even less.

At what outside temp do you stop using your stove. It must get to a point where it's more economical to let the furnace kick on than to continously feed wood into the fire. I would think that break point would depend on how well your house is insulated. What do you do? Here in MA the cost of firewood is outragous and no one's giving it away anymore.

Thought I'd revive this old thread. I just had my final delivery of the season, 20 gallons! The last delivery was in Feb and the 1 year total used is 219 gal. with heat and hw, down from 500 gallons in the previous years. With 1 season of burning under my belt I figure I'll easily get that down to 175 gallons next year. Thank you everyone for all of the good advice.
Rich

I haven't ordered oil in over a year. Gage on tank April of 08 sat just above the 1/4 mark and its only just below the 1/4 mark now. I think I'll be able to go until next year this time before I have to order anymore.

Talk about a great sense of satisfaction!

Way to go guys. Isn't it nice?!

Status
Not open for further replies.