had trees cut down on my property

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I had two alders, one douglas fir, and one cedar taken down on my property this week. And they also took a bunch of limbs off a huge maple by my driveway. I split most of the maple tuesday and some of the rounds were 12" thick.
I split the fir and started on the bigger alder this morning. The big alder was on the back part of my property and it's getting stacked right there along the deer trail.
yardwood3.jpg

Being out back, I didn't have them remove the brush and chip it, so I'll have to move it to the burn pile.

There's still a lot of alder rounds to work on back there.
yardwood1.jpg

Once I'm done with those I'll have to find a place to stack the other alder. I'll get to the cedar sometime and just make kindling bundles.

Nice work - I've been splitting a lot of pine into kindling as well. Cheers!

getting stacked right there along the deer trail

Hi blacktail, if you stack wood in real shaded areas/woods it will often moss over and rot on you. But if you can get in a position that has a good drying morning sun you can get by, most times
6790426348_3e04d34f48.jpg

You probably already know this by sorry for my babbling but I'm discovering our new forum.

PS pay not attention to that picture.

Edit test

...that is all!

We've been in your area and we are always amazed with all the moss. Do you have problems getting the wood dry?

blacktail I can honestly say that is one of the most beautiful areas of the country! I love going out to washington ( just not in the winter ) lol. Nice stack you got there too.

Pete

blacktail I can honestly say that is one of the most beautiful areas of the country! I love going out to washington ( just not in the winter ) lol. Nice stack you got there too.

Pete
By winter you mean the wet part.....Oct 1 - June 30.

I got the rest of that alder split this morning while it rained, then hailed. The stack out back from that tree and the small fir is about 2/3 of a cord.
Alder dries fast so this stuff will be ready by next burn season. It's stacked at the top of a hill where it will get plenty of breeze during the summer. And there's no shortage of brush and dead limbs for a Busch Light burn party. :)
One more alder and a little bit of maple to split, it's just a matter of where to put it. I have a big hole out back where a tree tipped over and the roots pulled out. Once I get that hole all filled in it will make a great spot to stack another cord or so. The cedar can wait as it's not much and will just be kindling. I'm sitting on 4-5 cords already for next year and I figure I've gone through 3.5 or 4 this season.
The alder I have left to split has some hollow rounds that I plan to turn into planters.

Status
Not open for further replies.