hammer in hook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rodhotter

Jan 14, 2019
pennsylvania
looking for a hook made to pound into small logs like seen on "mountain man" TV show, i want to be able to drag them up to a road etc to load on my pickup for garage heating with a pot belly stove soon to be a real wood stove as soon as i install it. nothing too big will be pulled as i am still fitter than most BUT 73 YO!! i would prefer hooking a strong rope to it. thanks for any input as i searched a while with no luck

How about a running bowline knot.

Evan

Not sure what you are looking for (not watching much if any TV...). Are you talking about a hookaroon, or picaroon?

Reactions: JimBear
Are you looking for something like this?

1628296165480.png

The hooks in this pic were made by disassembling a regular tong.

Attachments

• tongs.JPG
    tongs.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 416
Search the term “Log Grab” for this.

log-grab

BINGO!! dont watch much TV either but a bit in the winter, you tubes are great + always interested in how to keep my good health. the show "mountain man" where i seen what i want has different interesting segments + that "tool" is used to drag their logs. the setting is on a very old "farm" tennessee + everything is crude + old, BUT it works. thanks for the info!!

thanks for the suggestions, BUT looking for exactly what i explained.
Good luck finding an off the shelf hook product. Professional loggers and amateurs alike use log chokers, either as chain or cable. A hook is liable to come out if you find a soft spot or hit something while skidding. A choker won't come off and works so much better than tongs or hooks. Much less labor involved since you don't have to smash a hook or pull it out. Something to consider if you really are 73. I mill lumber on my property and probably spend more time sawing and skidding logs than most firewood cutters. My knowledge came from experienced logging professionals.

Reactions: DodgyNomad
looking for a hook made to pound into small logs like seen on "mountain man" TV show, i want to be able to drag them up to a road etc to load on my pickup for garage heating with a pot belly stove soon to be a real wood stove as soon as i install it. nothing too big will be pulled as i am still fitter than most BUT 73 YO!! i would prefer hooking a strong rope to it. thanks for any input as i searched a while with no luck

I think @hobbyheater's set up might be similiar to what you are looking for also. Hopefully this link works, if not just search the forums for "hobbyheater's log splitter" for his posts with videos. I think he calls them "log dogs".

These actually are available from Horse Logger Supply. They are the place I posted to above under Log-grab.

Attachments

• horse-logger-supply-17518.jpg
    horse-logger-supply-17518.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 276
  • horse-logger-supply-22860.jpg
    horse-logger-supply-22860.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 536
thanks so much!! those log dogs will be perfect as i will be pulling a very short distance like up an incline along a road. i Will be ordering a pair!!

You might want to check out the HorseLogger Facebook page. It has a lot of good videos on horse logging and how to use their skip hammer to remove the log grabs. It could have some good ideas for firewood getters.

Reactions: Skiper_T and MikeK
Reactions: Skiper_T