Hampton HI300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

calvin_and_hobbes

Apr 24, 2017
Merrimack, NH
Does anyone have any experience with the Hampton HI 300 wood insert stove? I have read at other sites it didn't throw enough heat. I have a chance to buy an end of season model for a good price....I have a Napolean Insert and that's 10 years old and doesn't look as good as the Hampton.

It's a good insert with the same innards as the Regency i3100. There are a couple reasons why folks complain about low heat. The most common reason is that the wood they're burning if not fully seasoned. Modern stoves want dry wood to perform optimally. Another factor, besides operator error, can be when the insert is installed in an exterior wall fireplace. That puts a very cold masonry jacket around the insert and much of the heat convecting around the firebox gets sucked out toward the cold brick and up the chimney. That means a lot of btus are going straight outdoors. Installing a block-off plate at the damper area helps contain some of the heat loss and it helps maintain a higher temperature around the insert. This translates to more heat convected into the house. If there is room behind the insert to put a sheet of micore insulation then even more heat stays around the insert body. This is less of an issue with a central, interior fireplace.

Do a search on the HI300. There are several threads on this insert. Member @velvetfoot also has one.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hampton-regency-hi300-operation-optimization.158622/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/question-about-hi300-burn-times.157596

Last edited:
Hi. I love mine. I burned about 3.5 cords or so this winter, so far!! Ha Ha!
I've had it several years and it's been great.
2.3 ft3 firebox is not overly small (bigger than my former 1.7 ft3 quad 2700i), and I really like that you can load front to back. Can really stack the wood in there without it rolling out.
With the cast iron fascia, it looks pretty nice. I have the flat black model. I imagine an enameled one would be even spiffier.
One of my better purchases.

Yes great stove for me as well, so purdy
Fits 18.5" splits front to back

20151229_195028.jpg

Reactions: gregbesia
I like the door. I'm not sure they make that style anymore.
The enamel also proves my earlier assertion. :)