Hand me down tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A saw that came with the house, and a two man carry log tongs I found in my dad's old shed image.jpg

Box of just a few of my dad's old hammers. Nine ball peens. One inch drift punch. Stuff like that. If you ever saw his hands you would suspect that he'd have a few well used persuaders around. There are multiple sets of snap on tools from the 50s and 60s at my moms house still. image.jpg

Towing tongs we found in the woods . Decorative now, but after a few more blacksmithing courses, who knows what they might become. image.jpg

Reactions: 1750
Nice collection. I love to put old tools in my hands and think about the hours someone put in with them, what was built or repaired, how they kept a family warm, or even what little part they may have had in building our country or winning a war. It's extra special if a family member had used them.

Nice collection. I love to put old tools in my hands and think about the hours someone put in with them, what was built or repaired, how they kept a family warm, or even what little part they may have had in building our country or winning a war. It's extra special if a family member had used them.
That is exactly how I feel! He had a pinch point bar that is worn down blunt on one end, and bent in the middle. He never weighed more than 140 pounds in his life. I asked them how the eff did you bend that thing, turned out that he used leverage of a bulldozer blade When repairing a machines track. Lots of stories in those tools that he had for as many as 70 years.

I had the bittersweet pleasure of clearing out the extensive workshops of my great-grandfather (machinist), grandfather (plumber), and father (Engineer, house wright, woodworker). Some great tools, spanning 1890's thru 1960's, and good memories of them using (or teaching me to use) all of them. I still have all of them, even some of the more absurd, like 4" and 6" pipe threading dies (think BIG).

You will enjoy using dad's tools, I suspect.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Nice collection of old tools. Old stuff is cool.
Here is couple of old things I have.
Alcohol torch, don't remember where I got it but it is an nice piece.
Saw that came with my house:).
PDR_0011.JPG
remington.jpg

AP - I have to be honest, I don't even think about the old tools. Have used them the whole time growing up, so they are just normal tools (even the old ones) to me. If I look around and think about it - Yep, that was my uncles old welder or my dads engine hoist or whatever, but I have had my hands on that stuff for over 30 years myself.

There is something neat about you being able to "distinguish" between them.

As far as "old stuff"...I could blitz this site for quite a while.;em

AP - I have to be honest, I don't even think about the old tools. Have used them the whole time growing up, so they are just normal tools (even the old ones) to me. If I look around and think about it - Yep, that was my uncles old welder or my dads engine hoist or whatever, but I have had my hands on that stuff for over 30 years myself.

There is something neat about you being able to "distinguish" between them.

As far as "old stuff"...I could blitz this site for quite a while.;em

My dad kept them until he died a few years ago, so it was a bit different here. My brother lives on the next block from them and he will grab a tool, then bring it back because "You bring back Dad's tools and put them away when you borrow"- meanwhile my Mom is telling us "Will you help me get this crap out of the house!"

Reactions: TreePointer
Love the saw.

If things go bad a guy needs some of these hand tools. Lot of times even now if I need something my first instinct is to head to the antique shop. I'm not putting the stuff on display, I'm in there cause I need it to use. Guess it was two years ago we needed a corn sheller. The fingers were getting a little raw after an acre or so. Where else you gonna find one of those things these days, without paying a fortune? To get technology like that you've gotta go back in time. Great stuff.

Cauldrons, kitchen items you name it. Head to your local antique mall and get one for half price and built twice as tough as todays.

I bought a corn sheller last year, as well. They work for walnuts... sort of.

Cool old tools. I love old tools.... Ive been inheriting a lot of stuff from my Dad as he semi-retires from his contractor business and offloads stuff to me he has multiple of. Most of it is not terribly existing or old, but useful... his well worn 90s bostich framing nailer, a nice dewalt chop saw, etc.

SOme cooooool old tools I inherited are my wife's grandfathers electronic diagnostic tools. He was an army radio operator in WWII and then an EE at GE for 50 years. Lots of cool old stuff and yeah I am working on getting these operation to actually use them.

testers.jpg

I actually used some electronics like that in my last job doing electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness testing. Some cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.