Hanging a Star from the Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Looking at hanging a Star on the outside of the Chimney.....should I drill and put in Molly on the Brick, or the Mortar ????.....instincts tell me Mortar...can always repoint should the job go to crap.....don't want to chance cracking a Brick....what say you.

Looking at hanging a Star on the outside of the Chimney.....should I drill and put in Molly on the Brick, or the Mortar ????.....instincts tell me Mortar...can always repoint should the job go to crap.....don't want to chance cracking a Brick....what say you.
Mortar.

Saw the title and thought this would be about A-Rod.

Saw the title and thought this would be about A-Rod.
Good one, BB! That cheater hung himself, though! Just like ol' Lance Armstrong. Not to derail the thread here, but I think all those cheats ought to be kicked out of sports for good!!

Reactions: Beer Belly
I'm going to do this exact thing to our stone chimney, Beer Belly! I'll probably use a plastic anchor, and epoxy it in. While the epoxy is still wet, I'll install a stainless hook/screw so it's permanent. I don't want to put it in the mortar for fear the mortar will crack and allow water in. I'll be drilling one of the stones instead.

Good one, BB! That cheater hung himself, though! Just like ol' Lance Armstrong. Not to derail the thread here, but I think all those cheats ought to be kicked out of sports for good!!
+1

I'm going to do this exact thing to our stone chimney, Beer Belly! I'll probably use a plastic anchor, and epoxy it in. While the epoxy is still wet, I'll install a stainless hook/screw so it's permanent. I don't want to put it in the mortar for fear the mortar will crack and allow water in. I'll be drilling one of the stones instead.
I'm thinking the Brick is more brittle.....but I like the idea of epoxy and a hook...Thanks

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.