Happy Holidays everyone!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trundle

Feb 12, 2011
Western MT
Hope you all are having a great day with family and friends. May you all stay warm and eat til you can't eat any more, then eat some more.

Here's a pic from this morning in front of my house. Frosty and cold, but still no snow here in western Montana.

056.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice View and Happy Holidays also!

Nice area Trundle. Like to get up that way someday.

Happy Holidays to you too! What kind of wood is in your stacks there?

Thanks you guys. Hope your as jammed full of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and pie as I am. Good grief.

Oslo. The wood in the foreground right behind the fiskars is some Doug Fir that I salvaged from a blow-down on the edge of the property. The stuff in the stacks is a mix of Doug Fir and Lodge pole pine that I've been scrounging over the last 6 months or so. That, combined with the cord and a half or so on my porch should get us through till next season.

Thanks you guys. Hope your as jammed full of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and pie as I am. Good grief.

Oslo. The wood in the foreground right behind the fiskars is some Doug Fir that I salvaged from a blow-down on the edge of the property. The stuff in the stacks is a mix of Doug Fir and Lodge pole pine that I've been scrounging over the last 6 months or so. That, combined with the cord and a half or so on my porch should get us through till next season.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of burn times do you get out of DF and LP? Are they fairly soft?

Oslo. Surprisingly good burn times from both species. The list of readily available firewood around here (from most preferred to less preferred) goes Western Larch, Doug fir, Lodge pole pine..........then Ponderosa pine and maybe Grand fir if you're desperate. As far as burn times go, if I pack the stove tight and cut the air way down, I can go to bed at 10:00 and get up at 6:00 and still have a few coals and some warmth in the flue. Still have to basically start the fire from scratch again, but it's pretty easy.

Only been out to Montana once, hope to get out there again next summer. That is some beautiful area out there. I'm surprised you haven't gotten snow yet, we actually had a dusting here in Virginia yesterday.

Looks a bit frosty there Trundle. A great time to be splitting wood.

Thanks folks. I moved into this house about 4 years ago and hadn't seen that kind of frost build-up on the trees the way it did on Thanksgiving morning (figured I should get a picture before it got burned off in the afternoon). The sun didn't come out but the wind kicked up around 3 PM and the frost crystals swirling around was pretty awesome. I just stood out on the porch with a beer and enjoyed the show. An arctic front is supposed to be moving in to the area tonight/tomorrow with a fair amount of snow and temps as low as -25 up here.

On an unrelated sidenote, our(!) beloved Montana Grizzlies are playing a team from the South Carolina coast (Coastal Carolina) in the FCS football playoffs on Saturday. I know you all care as much as I do so I'll keep you updated on the score. Cheers and.......GO GRIZ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.