Harbor Freight Catalog

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I just got my latest HF catalog and it says on the front that they will no longer be sending one to me unless I subscribe!!!!! a whole $2 per year!!!!

OK, so who else here (aside from me) will fork out that massive amount of cash for a catalog of stuff they could see online for free. I really need this next to the lou for reading. I never seem to be able to find ways to spend less than $10 on cheaply made Chinese stuff.

I think that is because you have not purchased in a while. If you purchase something it will extend your subscription.

The Harbor Freight Catalog (now at age 39) is to me what the Sears Catalog (Christmas Edition) was to me when I was a kid.
Just endless stuff of things you don't really need.....but fun looking through.

Ante up and help keep me employed. I work at a pulp and paper mill that is in chapter 11 and we really need the business.

Thank You!

ilikewood said:
The Harbor Freight Catalog (now at age 39) is to me what the Sears Catalog (Christmas Edition) was to me when I was a kid.

Oh yea the sears catalog got wore out ever year in my family's home! now it northern tool (age 44)

I bought something once from Northern Tool & Equipment.
They send me at least two and usually four very thick catalogs
every year since.
Two pages make a good fire starter for me.
I start more fires in the summer than winter as I cook with wood outside
at least three times a week and usually more.
If you have nibble fingers, maybe you "top down" guys could roll and tie in a bow.

Hurricane said:
I think that is because you have not purchased in a while. If you purchase something it will extend your subscription.
You think so? I hope you are right. There's a store near my parents, so i see something I like in the catalog and I go to the store when I'm home, or I call dad and give him a reason to go to the store (he makes almost bi-weekly trips to HF, i swear. I bet I need to make a catalog purchase (or online). Maybe I'll order something big again with free shipping (I got a framing nailer a couple of years ago).

BTW, how on earth did I ever build stuff without framing nailers and smaller brad nailers? I haven't dumped my hammers, but for anything that requires more than like 10 nails gets the air compressor and a gun. I don't like the possibility of not being able to severely injure myself when I do a project, so power tools are a must for the adrenaline rush of building a coffee table, lol.

smokinjay said:
ilikewood said:

Oh yea the sears catalog got wore out ever year in my family's home! now it northern tool (age 44)
I still remember tearing the glossy pages from of the Sears catalog in the outhouse. OK for reading only.

like J C Whitney auto parts in Chicago. I bought a lot of stuff while in high school for restoring a model A ford. for years I would get pitches to subscribe for a dollar, then warning if I didn't order I would get dropped off. Probably went 10 years that way with multiple mailings eacha year, then warnings, then more mailings. then of course I ordered more stuff along the way and started all over again. great selection, not knocking the company, just funny to see.

HF, lots of stuff to see, but I get tempted. I keep a set of incredibly misstamped ignition wrench set around to remind me and ward off the temptations.... I do buy some stuff n the store when I can see it in person. Northern Tool has come a long way upping their quality. And I could really spend serious money at Mills Fleet Farm.... sort of like TSC.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
ilikewood said:

I still remember tearing the glossy pages from of the Sears catalog in the outhouse. OK for reading only.

lol you must be older than I there was only one out house in are town when I was young and thank God it wasn't ours!

The last three catalogs from Northern Tool have been my "last" according to the sticker on the front. :lol:

LLigetfa said:
Someone remind me, because I'm so you, my history knowledge isn't that great. Outhouses and VHSs were like about at the same time, right?

LOL hahahahahahaha.....

In all seriousness, I'm not that old, but I have a bunch of stories that people my age don't have, things that would be more appropriate for people probably 20 years older.
for example: We got our first color tv when I was in high school. Also, when i was in college i was surprised to come home to find that the outhouse had finally been torn down and the hole filled in.

Danno77 said:
Outhouses and VHSs were like about at the same time, right?
LOL
No, the VHS came after the Sony BETA and the 8 track audio.

smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
ilikewood said:

lol you must be older than I there was only one out house in are town when I was young and thank God it wasn't ours!

Ha, smokinjay - I thought you were going to say 'there was only one out house in our town and we all had to use it' (kinda like walkin' uphill both ways to school!). :)

Ignore me, I'm sick - too many meds going on right now.......... :-/

Shari

Shari said:
smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
ilikewood said:

Ha, smokinjay - I thought you were going to say 'there was only one out house in our town and we all had to use it' (kinda like walkin' uphill both ways to school!). :)

Ignore me, I'm sick - too many meds going on right now.......... :-/

Shari

lol nope

First part of my life was in a house with a two hole outhouse out back and we bathed in a number three galvanized wash tub in the house. Dad hauled the water in fifty-five gallon drums from the school house because our well had too much gypsum in it to use the water.

Happiness is indoor plumbing and a water heater.

HF sends me those notices all the time. And then floods the mailbox with more catalogs.

BrotherBart said:
...and we bathed in a number three galvanized wash tub in the house.
The worst part was sharing the bath water with siblings that didn't like to go to the outhouse.

Speaking of outhouses: My Dad once owned a cottage 'up north' that had an outhouse. Every time we were not present the bears would knock it over. Dad always said the bears must have thought it was a "honey pot". :)

Shari

Out House , Yep. fancy indoor plumbing, consisted of hand pump on counter drawing from cistern in basement spilling into sink in kitchen, Had fancy porcelain tub, heat water on coal oil stove in kitchen. got electric late 50's what a wonderful invention course now it is biting you in the backside. Seems like history is starting to repeat itself as we go back to the land for survival.

blades said:
Out House , Yep. fancy indoor plumbing, consisted of hand pump on counter drawing from cistern in basement spilling into sink in kitchen, Had fancy porcelain tub, heat water on coal oil stove in kitchen. got electric late 50's what a wonderful invention course now it is biting you in the backside. Seems like history is starting to repeat itself as we go back to the land for survival.
yep thats about the size of it wish I had my grandfathers windmill

Ben gettin' "subscription renew" from hf for a while to, funny thing is that i buy stuff from them every now and then. But the catalogs that i can't do without is the northern tool and grainger's. if its made, and in the slightest bit mechanical in any way, they will have it!

Status
Not open for further replies.