Hard Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
IMG_0162.JPG
Is it hard maple? It free how does it burn? I can cut a lot more. What do you think?

not sure if it is rock maple but any maple is worth it esp. if it's free get all you can

Reactions: redktmrider
Agree. Red maple. Still good, though. Not as good as sugar, but worth getting. Dries very quickly (like less than 6 months). I don't use it overnight when it is below 20. It's a good wood for when it is not bitter cold, but not shoulder season either.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Absolutely! Great hardwood. It's already been mentioned here, but, properly stored, it seasons somewhat quickly. With decent coverage and enough air for the wood to dry out, you'll be all ready to go for next winter.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I would rule out sugar maple. There's a chance that is rock maple but more likely it is red maple as others have said. If you can find a leaf that would settle the matter. Either way, I would get all I could if I were you.

Here it is. Thanks everyone. I am going to cut all I can.

I would rule out sugar maple. There's a chance that is rock maple but more likely it is red maple as others have said. If you can find a leaf that would settle the matter. Either way, I would get all I could if I were you.
Leaves are green if that helps.

I love maple. Around here it's one of the more common, readily available woods we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love sugar maple. Have to conclude that silver maple is worth the effort, but not much more.

Maybe the smart guys can confirm/deny, but I think the seed is a "tell" on hard/soft maple.

Here's a seed of what I'll call a hard maple until demonstrated otherwise.
upload_2017-10-5_3-25-51.jpeg
upload_2017-10-5_3-25-51.jpeg

Leaves are green if that helps.
Rock maple leaves tend to be a dark green and can almost be black (rock maple is also known as black maple, scientific name "Acer nigrum"). But they can also be lighter green so the color is not dispositive.

Do the leaves have jagged edges, or smooth edges? If jagged, it's red maple (i.e. soft maple), but still really good stuff to burn.

IMG_0171.JPG
Here is a leaf from one of the trees. The wood is heavy like oak. Splits real easy. Has a brown center in the logs.

Reactions: Soundchasm
That leaf is odd, but I'd say the tree is Red Maple. The wood and bark look right, and the leaf, although not a typical Red Maple leaf, has the small teeth along the edges that are characteristic of Red Maple.

100% Red aka Soft Maple

So far I have cut about a cord. I have about 5 or 6 cords left on this job. Landowner says cut it all and haul it away. I am going to have a lot of Maple.

As others have said, its probably red maple. I burn a couple of cords a year and hand split it all. I want a fast burn for my boiler and don't really have a use for coals so its perfect for me. It can be dry enough to burn in six months if split and stacked properly but tis much better after two years.

Last edited:
I'm not great at identifying sugar maple logs, but it certainly looks like Red Maple logs I've harvested. Another benefit not mentioned is Red Maple is easy to split. Straight rounds up to 20" can easily split with a maul. The more twisted rounds are slightly more difficult than ash.

Love sugar maple. Have to conclude that silver maple is worth the effort, but not much more.
Maybe the smart guys can confirm/deny, but I think the seed is a "tell" on hard/soft maple.
Here's a seed of what I'll call a hard maple until demonstrated otherwise.
View attachment 200915View attachment 200915

I'm not sure the samara's are always good indicator. The one you pictured looks pretty close to Norway Maple because there is a large obtuse angle between the leaves. Sugar samaras can probably vary a bit. I usually think of the blades more like these:
29990601023_5630ec98d4_b.jpg

Another good indicator is the twig. Sugar maple has a narrower twig with a very sharp point at the end.

Reactions: Soundchasm