Hard to start 395XP. I broke two pull cords.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
This is the largest saw I have and I use it 2-3 times a year to give the 455 a break on some of the larger pieces. The saw never turns over with the decompression button depressed. It always pops back out upon cranking with the pull cord. Trying to start this saw without the decompression button depressed has snapped two pull cords. Any advice? Is the decompression button broken?

SIERRADMAX said:
Is the decompression button broken?

Yep (or dirty or whatever) but it ain't working right. Should be a relatively cheap fix.

I would sell it fast. Where can I pick it up?

Try some parts cleaner on the button. There must be some buildup on the detent that holds the button in.

Cleaning should do the trick.If its actually worn out (that happens),new ones can be had for around $15 on Ebay.My Poulan 475 had 180lbs compression with no decomp button.As I got older it practically threw my right shoulder out every time I started it.Sold it 3 months ago,hope the buyer was younger & bigger than me haha

I dont even attempt to start the 288XPW w/o pushing that decomp button first.One of the main reasons I bought that mean beast.

I've had my 395 for about 5yrs now and rarely use the decomp. I've not had a single issue with the starter. I suspect your not giving it a quick enough pull to get through the compression cleanly. I have other saws with no decomps on them with way more compression and have never had an issue with them either.

The saw is practically brand new. I've pulled it quick and hard enough to snap two pull cords.

SIERRADMAX said:
The saw is practically brand new. I've pulled it quick and hard enough to snap two pull cords.
Well its not a problem I have ever heard of so I would take it over to AS and see what the consensus is there.

I am not being a wise ass. Is there GAS and OIL in the fuel tank, and BAR OIL in the oil tank? And not the oppisite?

Trust me on this one!

And NO! There was not alcohol involved.

KC

Should have got a Stihl...... shakes head ;-)

SIERRADMAX said:

Something is definetely wrong here. I can pull over a MS880 without the decomp and not bust starter cords.

Start by slowly pullin until it rolls over and thumps or starts to resist let it rewind and pull like it owes you money.

Sierradmax, is it possible that your arms are just extremely long, and you continue to pull after the cord is fully unspooled, yanking the cord in two with your extra buffness?

Pineburner said:
Sierradmax, is it possible that your arms are just extremely long, and you continue to pull after the cord is fully unspooled, yanking the cord in two with your extra buffness?

That's what I was thinking. I've yet to break a pull cord w/out having it be extremely old (and having signs it was going to go anyway) or me getting overzealous and pulling it further than I should have.

If you meet the end of the cord on any pull start equipment, you are going to apply pressures to it far greater than the engine can.

pen

pen said:
Pineburner said:

That's what I was thinking. I've yet to break a pull cord w/out having it be extremely old (and having signs it was going to go anyway) or me getting overzealous and pulling it further than I should have.

If you meet the end of the cord on any pull start equipment, you are going to apply pressures to it far greater than the engine can.

pen
If thats the case somebody shortened the cord. Pretty sure there is more cord there than any gorilla could get to the end of.

Hogwildz said:

Knew there had to be one of "them" lurking about somewhere. :roll:

New valve should be around 20 bucks or less...real easy fix! Guess Stihl guys don't have to worry about compression with that elastic band bungee system they have. :lol:

I dropped it off at the dealer today. It is still under warranty. Sure enough, it was a bad decompression valve.

Just wonder how that would feel if the rope did not break. Done it a 122cc saw once. Seems something else is causing this other than the decomp! Who is rewinding the rope? (It should blow your arm and shoulder back but dont break your rope)

I think it had a bad decomp. valve from day 1. The first time I used it, the valve would pop before truning over and I reluctantly continued to pull on the pull cord to get it started. The second time using it was when I snapped the pullcord. I brought it into the dealer and they replaced the pullcord for me but the next time I used it, it snapped on me again. Shame on me for not bringing up the valve the first time I brought it to the dealer.

SIERRADMAX said:
I think it had a bad decomp. valve from day 1. The first time I used it, the valve would pop before truning over and I reluctantly continued to pull on the pull cord to get it started. The second time using it was when I snapped the pullcord. I brought it into the dealer and they replaced the pullcord for me but the next time I used it, it snapped on me again. Shame on me for not bringing up the valve the first time I brought it to the dealer.

Its a big saw I would be worn out before I could break the rope..... :lol: But when it pops better the rope than a shoulder!

I still don't buy it. I don't even use the decomp half the time. I realize it can save wear and tear on the starter but I've had my saw for at leas 5yrs and most of the time I just pull it. Alot of ported saws have them removed and plugged and never heard tell of ropes breaking.

smokinjay said:
SIERRADMAX said:

Its a big saw I would be worn out before I could break the rope..... :lol: But when it pops better the rope than a shoulder!

You got it,Jay :coolgrin:

KodiakII said:
Hogwildz said:

Knew there had to be one of "them" lurking about somewhere. :roll:

New valve should be around 20 bucks or less...real easy fix! Guess Stihl guys don't have to worry about compression with that elastic band bungee system they have. :lol:

That Elastostart system is my #1 retrofit to ANY of my saws. It's amazing how much difference it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.