Hardwood oak slab for firewood? Newbie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastyToes

Jul 6, 2009
Midwest
Here's the ad:

Hardwood OAK slab firewood debarked and banded - $45
Red oak and white oak bundles 8' long. Weigh a couple thousand pounds each. Wood has been run through a debarker and is clean. No complaints. There are lumber board rejects in here that people build with too...Been used for fencing. play house/tree fort, siding.

Can I burn this stuff in an insert? I can cut it up with a chainsaw.

I'm pretty sure if you set fire to it, that it will burn.

I wouldn't count on it being dry though. Maybe you'll get lucky. Sounds like a pretty nice deal and easy to get set up for with your saw. You'll have nice looking firewood.

ToastyToes said:
Here's the ad:

Hardwood OAK slab firewood debarked and banded - $45
Red oak and white oak bundles 8' long. Weigh a couple thousand pounds each. Wood has been run through a debarker and is clean. No complaints. There are lumber board rejects in here that people build with too...Been used for fencing. play house/tree fort, siding.

Can I burn this stuff in an insert? I can cut it up with a chainsaw.

It sounds good except for that last sentence. Has this already been used for fencing, etc? If so, has it been treated? If so, it is a no go for burning in a stove. But if they just mean that someone could use it for that, then no worries.

The only other thing is, how big are those bundles? $45 for how much?

btw, welcome to the forum ToastyToes.

I read it to mean that you could build things with it if that's what you wanted to do with it, not that it's already been used that way. A bundle of "a couple thousand pounds" could be the equivalent of nearly a half cord. No question that the wood will burn well, but slab wood can be tedious to process and stack. It's probably fairly thin, so it should season fairly quickly. Heck, I'd go bring a bundle home & see what I could do with it. Mostly burning, I'd think, but there just might be some picture frames or something in that bundle, as well...if you're into that woodworking sort of thing. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.