Harman 52i in main living space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altarr

Oct 23, 2011
RI
Hi all

my father has a wood burning insert in a fireplace in their living room currently. He commented about switching it out for a pellet insert....my only concern would be that they would cook themselves out of the room (typical center hall colonial layout) if they were looking for any type of heat in the rest of the house. The main benefit to him spending the $$$ on the pellet insert now, would be the ability to trim the oil bill, so if it would just help in the one room...it doesnt make too much sense.

Anyone have theirs in their "main" living/hangout space?

My 52i is in a large, high ceiling (direct via stairs in room, up into 2nd floor) family room. The key is that room has a large ceiling fan. What I found, as others had explained, is that it's more the constant airflow from the insert working 24/7 that produces the raising of the house temp.

I had my stove installed in February 2014. From then until June I didn't put another drop of oil in the tank. I had done so every 3-4 weeks ritually through winter. The 52i is a blessing.

Last edited:
My 52i is in a large, high ceiling (direct via stairs in room, up into 2nd floor) family room. The key is that room has a large ceiling fan. What I found, as others had explained, is that it's more the constant airflow from the insert working 24/7 that produces the raising of the house temp.

I had my stove installed in February 2014. From then until June I didn't put another drop of oil in the tank. I had done so every 3-4 weeks ritually through winter. The 52i is a blessing.

I am about to install a 52i in my main living area and had the same concern as you have. The big difference I found is the heat from the Accentra is convective rather than radiant like a wood stove. This has the effect of evening out the temperature rather than being very hot close to it and cooler away from it. The houses I visited with a 52i were quite comfortable and the temperature of the rooms very balanced.

I am about to install a 52i in my main living area and had the same concern as you have. The big difference I found is the heat from the Accentra is convective rather than radiant like a wood stove. This has the effect of evening out the temperature rather than being very hot close to it and cooler away from it. The houses I visited with a 52i were quite comfortable and the temperature of the rooms very balanced.

excellent point, a benefit to pellet stoves in general.....

excellent point, a benefit to pellet stoves in general.....
The 52i has a very strong convection blower, that and ceiling fans combined tends to get the heat around the house pretty well ( some layouts are more difficult than others though). It still isn't central heat, not that even but better than radiant only as has been mentioned. I run a P61and in the cold weather I switched from a fairly low fan setting to high and noticed a big difference in evenness of heat. And too a lot depends on insulation, my house isn't all that great in that department since in 0 deg weather the stove is up near 2/3 capacity when a P43 should heat a house this size.. We have a ways to go on tightening up but getting there. Fortunately on Cape Cod most winters don't bring 0 deg weather, last winter was an exception and it's appearing we may be in for another. We do have a kitchen extension that could be warmer. The rest of the house is fine.

If you are really concerned and not convinced that heat will travel, go with a smaller insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.