Harman 52i - Install Questions on “Wings”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kbisnett

Sep 30, 2020
Altamont, NY
Hi Folks!!
Received so much great information back in March from just searching this forum that we finally purchased a Harman 52i.

Prior it was a wood burning fire place with large ledger rocks around it.We removed all the ledger rock, the install crew removed the old fire box, install a new Harman Zero Clearance box, along with the 52i. Since we had to remove everything we planned to tile the surround after it was installed and install the new wooden mantle.

I noticed today that between the wings/surrounds of the 52i - the space for tile to fit gets increasingly smaller towards the bottom of the stove. I pulled the stove out and found I could remove the bolts for each side wing. It looks like they were pushed in behind the insert. Is this expected in the install? Just trying to figure out where we may have went wrong - unfortunately we can’t fit anything behind the stove towards the bottom. Some pictures before and after loosening the wings and placing them on top of the insert.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 128
First thing I'd check would be the perpendicularity between the hearth & the facing.
If the floor is level & the wall is plumb, then the unit is out of level/plumb or both.
There are leveling bolts in the mounting frame. they may be incorrectly adjusted.
Unfortunately, you have to pull the stove body to check those bolts...