Harman Accentra 52i install advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RS In KY

We purchased a home that has a vent free propane fireplace. Further investigation revealed that there was originally a zero clearance fireplace that had been removed. The fireplace is in the middle of the house. The flue is still intact and runs up to the roof through a chase framed chase. We have decided on a Harman 52i insert as the brick surround is still intact from the insert. The quote includes a zero clearance surround. Also included in the quote is the 4 inch venting pipe and the chimney cap. We also have the labor to remove the old flue system and install all of the piping. Is removal of the old 9” flue system necessary? If the flue is removed what would be the proper was to secure the vent pipe inside of the chase?
On that topic does anyone have any experience cleaning the vent pipe from below? Any other tips on the installation or things to watch for?

We purchased a home that has a vent free propane fireplace. Further investigation revealed that there was originally a zero clearance fireplace that had been removed. The fireplace is in the middle of the house. The flue is still intact and runs up to the roof through a chase framed chase. We have decided on a Harman 52i insert as the brick surround is still intact from the insert. The quote includes a zero clearance surround. Also included in the quote is the 4 inch venting pipe and the chimney cap. We also have the labor to remove the old flue system and install all of the piping. Is removal of the old 9” flue system necessary? If the flue is removed what would be the proper was to secure the vent pipe inside of the chase?
On that topic does anyone have any experience cleaning the vent pipe from below? Any other tips on the installation or things to watch for?
Congrats on getting the new 52i I have the same stove. I won't comment on your venting since I'm no expert,but as far as cleaning your new venting it's pretty easy. What I do is run rods "lint eater kit" from bottom up you connect to your drill just keep adding or subtracting rods going up or down cleans very well. Oh and cleaning the 52i I cool that when you slide the stove out it has a docking gasket when you pull the stove out it leaves the vent hole exposed so all you have to is start pushing your cleaning rods strait into the venting,you don't have to disconnect any piping or deal with sealing vent joints ,when you slide the stove back in place the docking gasket makes a tight seal to the vent easy breezy.

Last edited: