Harman Accentra Auger turns and stops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STLSully

Jan 16, 2016
Massachusetts
I have a 2005 Harman Accentra that has been meticulously maintained by me for 10 years. Recently, I have had issues with Green Supreme pellets causing a very hard buildup in the burn pot. At times the auger seemed to struggle. I made sure to thoroughly scrape the burn pot each day.
About a week ago, the feed motor seemed to be straining to turn the auger. I shut down the stove, removed the auger and cleaned everything out. I didn't find any foreign objects. When I reassembled the stove, and turned on the stove, the auger turned three complete turns and then never turned again. I figured that my feed motor had finally given up so I ordered a replacement motor. I installed the new motor and the same thing happened. The auger made three complete turns and then never turned again. The combustion motor blows and I have thoroughly cleaned the unit. The auger turns easily by hand. I know I installed the feed plate properly. Any thoughts?

When it doesn't turn, is the motor getting voltage? In other words, is it trying to turn? Answering that will determine if you have a mechanical or electrical problem.

When it doesn't turn, is the motor getting voltage? In other words, is it trying to turn? Answering that will determine if you have a mechanical or electrical problem.
So I pulled the auger again and studied it more closely. It is noticeably worn at the front end. Also, there is a rubbery gasket that between the auger tube and the bearing retainer that holds the auger in place that has disintegrated. I think I need to bite the bullet and buy a new auger.

Status
Not open for further replies.