Harman Accentra Should i buy it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
I came across a guy selling a harman accentra. He is selling for 800 bucks comes with pipe and oak kit. My question is, is this a good price? The stove was stamped it was made in 2003 so it is fairly older. It has a little rust on it but nothing that cant be sanded and a little bit of paint cant fix. He plugged it in and turned it on the blower works the auger turns. The only problem with it it the plate in the pellet box that drops the pellets is frozen shut. Looks like it is just rusty. So my question is, is it worth the price and with the plate can i just take it apart sand the plate down and free it up so i moves again?

Sounds like an easy fix, guessing they left damp pellets in hopper resulting in a rusty feeder plate. If i was looking for a high quality and beautiful cast iron stove I'd buy it. Sure beats a new $1000 low quality stove purchase.

I came across a guy selling a harman accentra. He is selling for 800 bucks comes with pipe and oak kit. My question is, is this a good price? The stove was stamped it was made in 2003 so it is fairly older. It has a little rust on it but nothing that cant be sanded and a little bit of paint cant fix. He plugged it in and turned it on the blower works the auger turns. The only problem with it it the plate in the pellet box that drops the pellets is frozen shut. Looks like it is just rusty. So my question is, is it worth the price and with the plate can i just take it apart sand the plate down and free it up so i moves again?
I'd buy it that's a very good price! I bought a used one 2008 accentra from my Hartman dealer last Jan. For 1200.00 ? Buy,buy,buy.

Would he allow you to access the fines box first before you buy it. That would at least give you a chance to see what's going on in the other side of that slider plate. And let's not forget the possibility of gummy stove causing this. Hopefully all it is is a little rust. I'd buy but would feel better if I could access the fines box first.

Would he allow you to access the fines box first before you buy it. That would at least give you a chance to see what's going on in the other side of that slider plate. And let's not forget the possibility of gummy stove causing this. Hopefully all it is is a little rust. I'd buy but would feel better if I could access the fines box first.
What would i be looking for in the fines box? I am new to pellet stoves so it is all new to me. I really didn't want to spend the 4 grand on a new one when i can get a used one for a quarter of the price. I would consider my self pretty handy so i am not worried to much if i have to replace something. I would be happy if i got 2 years out of this stove.

The fines box is at rear of stove and is part of the feeder body. It has a wing nut on it. Remove the wing nut and the fines box cover and that will expose the slide plate. Chances are it's choc full of sawdust but once you clear that you can feel the underside of the slide plate. Just make sure there is no sticky substance on the bottom of the plate and also check the bottom of the hopper for on orange/yellow discoloration. These are usually tell tale signs of gummy stove. If itz just rust you are golden.

The fines box is at rear of stove and is part of the feeder body. It has a wing nut on it. Remove the wing nut and the fines box cover and that will expose the slide plate. Chances are it's choc full of sawdust but once you clear that you can feel the underside of the slide plate. Just make sure there is no sticky substance on the bottom of the plate and also check the bottom of the hopper for on orange/yellow discoloration. These are usually tell tale signs of gummy stove. If itz just rust you are golden.
Just seeing this now, but i went ahead and bought the stove. Got it put in to place where i wanted it. Plugged it in and noticed the slide plate wasn't the problem. The auger was pretty much rusted to the side walls inside the stove. So i ended up taking out the auger with a little pounding of the hammer and got it unstuck. Pulled out the auger and sanded it down put it back in and hooked the chain back up everything seems to be working properly to my knowledge. Tomorrow i am going to install the vent pipe and oak. Then hopefully i will have some heat.

Just seeing this now, but i went ahead and bought the stove.

Good work...now be sure not to shock the controller, may be good to get it on a surge suppressor or an APC.

Would be a good time now to do a deep clean on the machine, get all of the old dust bunnies, soot, grime taken care of. Might be a good time to take a picture of all of the electrical connections just in case anything gets dislodged.

I picked up a used 2002 on a trade wile trouble shooting a small issue I burned up the combustion fan motor . who ever installed fan was not the sharpest match in the pack. The ride home shifted the wires when I pluged it in zap motor smoked. At the end of the day I blame myself for not doing a better inspection after the ride. Working like a champ ever since.

It's good that's all it fried. You coulda' killed the green board too.

So true .

Status
Not open for further replies.