Harman Accentra singing blower bearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iburnslow

Nov 29, 2016
MA
I've developed what I think is a singing bearing in my blower fan. Sounds like feedback from a microphone and is intermittent. Goes from a high pitched piercing squeal, to just a low whirring sound. Just seeking any pointers and wisdom from anyone who's replaced this in the past. Let me know your thoughts, what you found out when you went through this project. I've had this stove for a long time, and this is my first real issue with it. I have to replace this though, it's like sitting front row at a Jimi Hendrix concert with the feedback cranked when it really gets going...Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Can you say which blower, distribution or combustion. There are alot of threads for either on this forum and there are numerous videos on YouTube.

Can you say which blower, distribution or combustion. There are alot of threads for either on this forum and there are numerous videos on YouTube.

Thanks for the tip on the YouTube idea. I'll do some 'searching'. I was just going to add to my post; I'm not sure which blower is 'singing'? I'm not sure how to determine that? I guess I should simply replace both to be safe. I've had the stove for 15 years, so it's probably worth the time to replace both.

Reactions: SciGuy
The distribution (room air) blower turns on/off depending on the need for heat. The combustion blower pushes air thru the burn pot and the vent pipe and runs continuously. When the stove is burning you can turn the temp dial down and the distribution blower will turn off.

I turned the fan up, and the singing gets ridiculously loud...

Just found these as well. Looks pretty straightforward, except the sawzall'ing of the combustion blower shaft if the set screw is frozen...

Combustion Blower:

Distribution Blower:

Reactions: jackman
Just found these as well. Looks pretty straightforward, except the sawzall'ing of the combustion blower shaft if the set screw is frozen...

Combustion Blower:

Distribution Blower:

Bolt cutters would be quicker. Motor is junk anyway.

Bolt cutters would be quicker. Motor is junk anyway.
You cant get bolt cutters in there. The motor is in a recess in the back. I use a oscillating saw w/ a carbide tooth blade and plunge right down the center of the shaft/collar. Takes just seconds to split it. The carbide blades are maybe $10 each. I have cut several fan shafts, Used it for a prefab fire box tear out to start cuts in sheet metal and other stuff. Teeth still look decent. It is such a versatile tool.

...And miraculously the singing has stopped today....could there have just been some dirt or fines that got into the bearing that then got pulverized? I'm glad I didn't order the $250 in replacement parts yet...

...And miraculously the singing has stopped today....could there have just been some dirt or fines that got into the bearing that then got pulverized? I'm glad I didn't order the $250 in replacement parts yet...
Hate to be a "downer" but the noise is most likely to return. Being 15 years old think you are due for some part replacements....or like many here stock backup parts..

Hate to be a "downer" but the noise is most likely to return. Being 15 years old think you are due for some part replacements....or like many here stock backup parts..
Or some 3-1 oil for the bearings.... 15 years in a hostile environment with no oil = shot.

Reactions: Iburnslow
Yes, you're probably right...best to have them on hand for when the next Hendrix concert starts playing in my living room...

X2

The 'singing will return, most like along with a non turning fan when it finally locks up....

You cant get bolt cutters in there. The motor is in a recess in the back. I use a oscillating saw w/ a carbide tooth blade and plunge right down the center of the shaft/collar. Takes just seconds to split it. The carbide blades are maybe $10 each. I have cut several fan shafts, Used it for a prefab fire box tear out to start cuts in sheet metal and other stuff. Teeth still look decent. It is such a versatile tool.
I tend to use my Hypertherm for cutting and/or a thin cut abrasive disc in a die grinder. Don't own a reciprocating saw.

I tend to use my Hypertherm for cutting and/or a thin cut abrasive disc in a die grinder. Don't own a reciprocating saw.
Its a oscillating saw. Not a sawzall type saw. Like this. I doubt I would want to be wielding a Hypertherm in someone's living room! :)

Amazon product ASIN B07TYGKHHS

Don't have one of those either.... No need, no Harman..... :)

Don't have one of those either.... No need, no Harman..... :)
On a side note, this is a handy way to dry growlers
70A23E75-65D2-4555-ACB3-5AC8187EBC5C.jpeg

Reactions: Washed-Up