harman advance goes through a bag of pellets too quickly + auger noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougd

Feb 14, 2011
HARMAN advance? , what makes a stove go through pellets faster than years before, circuit board or exhaust probe??? I know a full hopper same pellets would heat properly and last about 24 hours on current settings from 2 years prior usage, I changed the potentiometer for feed, no change, so should I conclude board is bad or exhaust probe ??? all clean no blink's everything else seems normal.. another question. anyone know way to stop squealing grinding noise of auger, pulled and cleaned auger and tube before. Normal buildup? thanks Doug

Have you cleaned the probe?

cleaned probe with brush and vacuum all clean metal.......should I do anything else..........? thanks doug

I will try some alcohol on cotton swabs and see what that does..........thanks doug

what kind of brush did you use on your probe? I would advise using any sort of brush to clean the probe. Soapy water on a paper towel works well. If you get aggressive and scrape the probe with a brush it can damage the probe. Are you running the machine in room temp or stove temp??

runnin at stove temp ,a constant amount of stove noise. small paint brush, bristles cut back a bit cut backa bit for stiffness, at earliest opportunity will pull probe and us swab with alcohol and mild detergent . thanks Doug

Same brand of pellets? Shorter pellets will have a tendency to feed faster at same setting.

what settings are you running it at? whats the feed adjustment, what level of stove temp?

Whatever feed rate less than 2 , 3 or 4 and low stove temperature I set stove at it still runs out in around 20 hours, was not behavior of stove at start of this heating season or 2 the years prior for that matter. I always left it on 3 feed and lowest 1/2 of stove temp settings thanks Doug :)

turn up your feed rate. The stove is not attaining set stove temp, and a 12.5 sec/minute max allowed feed cycle won't do it for you. I know it might run contradictory to your thinking, but increasing the feed on the Harmans does not mean you will always feed more pellets.. just allows the unit to have more range to vary it's rate to attain temp. If the stove can't get to temp because you won't allow it to run it will keep going into perpitutiy, thus blowing thru more pellets.

What settings are your dip switches set at? Found on the rear of the control panel.

Eric

I think your chasing your tail if you are looking to find reason you burn through hopper in 4 hours less this year. Thats less than 20% difference, and although could make a sizable chunk of change in your heating season bills, could be from just about anything.

Different Brand of Pellets
Same brand different batch
% moisture change
etc, etc, etc

Stove just different than it was, almost unadjustable,, It is like your car getting 5 mpg less and not getting better.you also have to restart stove every day because the pellets are all gone.....,

Eric you asked me dip switches setting? the little line of on/off switches??? they're all down that is towards the middle of board. I did change feed pot and maybe upset the settings with handling.
please advise also how do you know if exhaust probe is bad?

thanks to all Doug

dougd said:
Stove just different than it was, almost unadjustable,, It is like your car getting 5 mpg less and not getting better.you also have to restart stove every day because the pellets are all gone.....,

Eric you asked me dip switches setting? the little line of on/off switches??? they're all down that is towards the middle of board. I did change feed pot and maybe upset the settings with handling.
please advise also how do you know if exhaust probe is bad?

thanks to all Doug

if the wire to your ESP probe is BLACK, then tall the dip switches should be down. If the wire to the ESP is RED, then the dip switch #5 needs yo be UP, while all the rest are DOWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.