Harman Advance keeps going out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nasabuzi

Nov 16, 2014
Levittown, NY
Hi all, so first time posting but I have used this site for where to buy pellets and general pellet stove info.

Ok so my problem is we have a Harman Advance and this is the third year we have had it. It has mostly worked without issue but the last day or so it has started going out after about being lit for an hour. We had it running for a couple of weeks and turned it off for a couple of days since it was warm here and since turning it back on it has been acting up. So far I have tried re cleaning the burn pot and other areas, change the feed amount, temperature.

When the fire go's out the the status light has blinked 5 and 6 times on different occasion. Any idea's on what I can try next to get this working?

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. First thing I did was go to the user manual to see what the status code meant. Last thing I haven't tried which I was just told to try is cleaning the exhaust sensor. At the moment I think something is triggering the board to stop burning/feeding the fire with how all the moving parts seem to be ok.

Hi all, so first time posting but I have used this site for where to buy pellets and general pellet stove info.

Ok so my problem is we have a Harman Advance and this is the third year we have had it. It has mostly worked without issue but the last day or so it has started going out after about being lit for an hour. We had it running for a couple of weeks and turned it off for a couple of days since it was warm here and since turning it back on it has been acting up. So far I have tried re cleaning the burn pot and other areas, change the feed amount, temperature.

When the fire go's out the the status light has blinked 5 and 6 times on different occasion. Any idea's on what I can try next to get this working?
If you haven't cleaned the ESP probe in three years its overdue. Also - how are you running the stove?

I had a Harman Advance since 2008. Here are my suggestions:
  • check for air leaks as suggested
  • most important unplug the stove for 1 minute
  • set thermostat degrees on high degrees like 85 <--- this will eliminate the stove from shutting off for room air too high
  • set upper dial for feed rate to 3 for starting
  • set lower right dial to off about 9 O'clock
  • set to auto start
  • plug stove back into outlet (stove should not start)
  • set lower right dial to room temp in the middle about 1 o'clock
  • stove auger should start to feed pellets.
  • monitor stove to determine when it shuts off and maybe why

Have you done a complete annual cleaning i the back removing the back covers and fans to clean the fan blades? If not there are very good videos on youtube that explain it all in detail.

I had a Harman Advance since 2008. Here are my suggestions:
  • check for air leaks as suggested
  • most important unplug the stove for 1 minute
  • set thermostat degrees on high degrees like 85 <--- this will eliminate the stove from shutting off for room air too high
  • set upper dial for feed rate to 3 for starting
  • set lower right dial to off about 9 O'clock
  • set to auto start
  • plug stove back into outlet (stove should not start)
  • set lower right dial to room temp in the middle about 1 o'clock
  • stove auger should start to feed pellets.
  • monitor stove to determine when it shuts off and maybe why

Have you done a complete annual cleaning i the back removing the back covers and fans to clean the fan blades? If not there are very good videos on youtube that explain it all in detail.
What he said! I had a similar problem with my Harman. Cure was replacing the room sensor. I also cut the tip off the old one and spliced the new one into it. Longer cord give more flexibility in sensor placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.