Harman Allure 50 Temperature Reading Verses Actual Room Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpscroller

May 20, 2016
Arkansas
I recently purchased the Harman Allure 50 Pellet Stove. Over the weekend we had our first opportunity to use it. I've noticed a difference in what the stove says is the room temperature verses other readings I have taken in the room. I know there will be some slight differences but there is about a 5-6 degree difference. To keep the room at 70, I set the stove at 75. Is that normal or is there a way to calibrate the stove to reflect a more realistic room temp? Thanks!

I have the Absolute43 which uses the same controls as the Allure and if the built-in temperature sensor is the same as the Absolute43 then it will probably never read correctly. It is too close to the back of the stove and as far as I can tell no way to move it further away. I find that the built-in temperature sensor will read differently depending on what level the distribution fan is on, it is worst when the stove is in Whisper mode (distribution fan at 10%). More of the heat stays near the stove and heats up the sensor. I just ordered the wireless room sensor which will hopefully fix this issue.

To answer your question I don't think there is a way to calibrate the built-in sensor, unless it is in one of the dealer menus.

I installed one at my house over the weekend and do not have this issue. Is your room temperature wire where it was at the time of purchase, which is directly on the back of the stove? There's a couple of feet of additional wire curled up behind the rear covers.

Reactions: Lake Girl
As with all room temperature probes, off the floor and a bit away from the stove if you want to get better agreement in temps. I leave mine closer to the floor so it runs longer in the cold of winter throwing out more heat.

I've found the best place for my room probe ( as have quite a few of us Harman P series users) is mounted up high on the back of the hopper, that puts it about 3-1/2 ft off the floor or so. It does a very good job of keeping temps in agreement with my dining room thermostat ( next room over from the stove which is in the living room) to the central heat by about 1 deg difference. And it will maintain that right through the seasons in room temp mode, starting and stopping day and night this time of year and cranking the flame higher and lower as needed in the cold weather. The colder the weather the more fuel it uses automatically.

Get the wireless thermostat

Reactions: jpscroller
I installed one at my house over the weekend and do not have this issue. Is your room temperature wire where it was at the time of purchase, which is directly on the back of the stove? There's a couple of feet of additional wire curled up behind the rear covers.
Yes, the wire is where it was when the stove was installed. It is clipped to one of the vent grooves with about 2-3 inches exposed. Did you take that panel off to access the extra wire, or did you just pull it through. I am checking on the price of the wireless sensor as well. Can't find anything about the price on the Harman website, so I will call my dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

You have to remove the rear bottom panel on that side and clip the plastic tie holding it to the vent grove and the plastic tie holding together the rest of the cable, then carefully pull the cable through the hole. I just took a rough measurement of the cable and it's about 3.5 - 4 feet long.

The wireless room sensor is about $150.00. I considered getting one, ultimately decided not to and now don't feel like I need it. I have the room probe wire positioned about 4 feet up the wall about 1.5 feet behind the stove and an indoor/outdoor thermometer about 30 feet away from the stove just to check the temperature there. The thermometer 30 feet away initially reads about 5 degrees lower than over by the stove but equals the stove temp after about 2 hours.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.