Harman just said that the load door need not pass the paper test?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorse

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
South Central PA
The top load door on our TL 300 will not pass the paper test. The entire length of the front allows an envelope to be pulled out easily.

The tech just called Harman and then called me. He said Harman told him the top load door does not need to pass the "paper test". It's an airtight stove.
Shouldn't the load door be airtight? It's "loose" enough we get smoke. Harman said if our draft was good enough, there should be no smoke.

I'm confused. I thought "airtight" meant "airtight". Anyone else think this sounds like "a line" from Harman? Seems to me if the top load door isn't airtight, that could affect the draft...

It True.
The Harmon Sucks so it will pull the gasket in and seal perfectly.
Also this discription applies to Customer Service.

redhorse said:
The top load door on our TL 300 will not pass the paper test. The entire length of the front allows an envelope to be pulled out easily.

The tech just called Harman and then called me. He said Harman told him the top load door does not need to pass the "paper test". It's an airtight stove.
Shouldn't the load door be airtight? It's "loose" enough we get smoke. Harman said if our draft was good enough, there should be no smoke.

I'm confused. I thought "airtight" meant "airtight". Anyone else think this sounds like "a line" from Harman? Seems to me if the top load door isn't airtight, that could affect the draft...

Depending on the stove design, I think a leaky top load door seal can cool internal temps, which would lower the draw strength. Still, I don't see how smoke can come out when the load door is closed unless the draft is already very low. If smoke comes out when the top load door is open, that has nothing to do with the gasket seal, just a sign of a poor draft in general.

Note that modern EPA stoves are not "airtight". There is almost always a small amount of controlled air entering the firebox so that the fire does not smolder. That said, the gaskets should seal well.

My Harman dealer says that the stove should be air tight and pass all gasket tests in order to work properly.

When you are checking the gasket are you checking it with the bypass open or closed?
If you can still get paper through it when it is closed it is time to replace the gasket.
When it is open it may not have enough pressure on it to hold back a piece of paper since it would be only held by the weight of the door.

My advise is if you are in doubt replace the gasket.
If you are near his shop and he has one on the floor give it the paper test to show baseline.

My top load gasket is one I need to replace shortly due to smoke coming out of it when bypass is enganged.
When it is not engaged the draft is strong enough to pull any smoke out.

MishMouse said:
My Harman dealer says that the stove should be air tight and pass all gasket tests in order to work properly.

When you are checking the gasket are you checking it with the bypass open or closed?
If you can still get paper through it when it is closed it is time to replace the gasket.
When it is open it may not have enough pressure on it to hold back a piece of paper since it would be only held by the weight of the door.

My advise is if you are in doubt replace the gasket.
If you are near his shop and he has one on the floor give it the paper test to show baseline.

MY top load gasket is one I need to repalce shortly due to smoke coming out of it when bypass is enganged.

Damper open or closed, makes no difference. The tech is here now and says that the gaskets do not need to paper tight.

The stove is about two weeks old.

the only time I've seen the top load of a TL not seal up is when the cooking grill is in there, strange if you do not have the grill.

redhorse, it is winter time so there is lots of snow. Still, it sounds like you are getting a real snow-job from Harman. That or they are trying to alter your diet by feeding you pure baloney.

Backwoods Savage said:
redhorse, it is winter time so there is lots of snow. Still, it sounds like you are getting a real snow-job from Harman. That or they are trying to alter your diet by feeding you pure baloney.

On the Harmon web page they have videos showing how to do the paper test and comment that all gaskets should be paper tight. I have, however, communicated with two people who have the TL 300 and say the top load door gasket is not paper tight along the front and their stoves burn fine.

You know, I really hate baloney...:)

redhorse said:
Backwoods Savage said:

On the Harmon web page they have videos showing how to do the paper test and comment that all gaskets should be paper tight. I have, however, communicated with two people who have the TL 300 and say the top load door gasket is not paper tight along the front and their stoves burn fine.

You know, I really hate baloney...:)

I just checked my top door gasket and when a piece of a paper is inserted and the bypass is closed it holds the paper tight, but I can still pull the paper through it but it takes some effort to do so. The only part of it that doesn't seal properly is the upper right corner which the gasket is showing its age.

Status
Not open for further replies.