Harman OAK need help getting the funny pipe size!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWinkey

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2006
Eastern Washington
I need an adapter to get the Air Input on the stove from the 2 3/8" size to the 3" or 4" pipe I'm going to run for outside air.

Anybody have an idea where to get an adapter or something like that?

Could make one with some scrap steel or aluminum but hopefully someone has done this before.

I was planning on using gas vent pipe or dryer vent pipe and seal it. The kit from the dealer is just flex pipe so I figured it would not be a big deal to use dryer vent pipe unless somebody on here has an idea why not?

well, in a pinch , maybe cut a slit up the pipe several inches and tucking one side of the cut inside the other and "coning" it down to the right size, then seal and secure it, may not be perfect or beautiful , but it would be functional

Since the air tight seal is not really mandatory I would suggest a prefabbed sheet metal reducer and then reducing the reducers end with sheet metal tools.

How about going to an exhaust shop and having them stretch a piece of 2-1/4 pipe to fit?

How about getting a bushing made like a donut with a 2-3/8 inner diameter and a 3 or 4 inch outer?

What I honestly would do is go to the hardware store and grab a chunk of flex and then try and find something non-combustible that would slip inside the flex and just barely outside the stove adapter. I did just that with my Heritage's OAK snout which fortunately is removeable.

That's some good ideas to try!

Should I find nothing that works I guess I can turn some type of adapter on the lathe also.

If you used the words turn and lathe in the same sentence then I am sure you know what to do. All you really need to do is create a bushing with 2-3/8 ID and 3" OD which is only about 1/4" thick. From there you can use an off the shelf 3-4" reducer or just use 3" flex duct. The material for the bushing needs to be able to withstand the temperatures. Drill and tap a countersunk setscrew to hold the bushing to the 2-3/8" snout of the OAK, I suppose you could just glue it on there too if your ID is a close fit.

If it's possible to remove the snout I may just do that and then make my own snout with 3" pipe.

I'll take apart the stove this weekend and go to the steel store....that's like my 2nd fav place!

Status
Not open for further replies.