harman owners: does this look right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
So, first burn last night, and I notice quite a wall of ash building up, but not having any experience, I don't know if this is normal or not. It did look sort of like the flame from the burning pellets was having to squeeze through a rather narrow opening in the ash pile...although, the flame looked normal, and the room temp was being maintained perfectly. I shut it down before bed, and took a pic thismorning.

maybe I've just been reading too many "crappy pellet" posts/threads. Pellets are "Pike pellets", a fairly new company. The few reports I've found on them are generally positive. They're a little dark in color, but again, what do I know? (they're kind of "pretzel colored". if that tells you anything...).
anyway, this is after 4 hrs of burning.
pic:

ash.jpg

Looks like mine. The ashes eventually get dumped over the edge into the ashpan.

Mine looks the same also. Depending on the pellet I use, my ash can be a large chunk or more broken up light ash but as rap69ri says, it all falls over the edge by its self.

Looks normal Chuck. Just give your burn pot a good scraping every couple days and let the ashes get pushed out by the pellets being feed underneath.

Most folks here have found the tool that comes with the stove does not work that well and use something else like this.

Same as mine, I scrape the burn pot in the morning and when I get home from work

Looks like mine as well. I find that I need to scrape a few times a day, though. I think it's because I run on low a lot.

Dougsey said:
Looks normal Chuck. Just give your burn pot a good scraping every couple days and let the ashes get pushed out by the pellets being feed underneath.

Most folks here have found the tool that comes with the stove does not work that well and use something else like this.

That link is funny! :snake:

sydney1963 said:
Dougsey said:

That link is funny! :snake:

I thought so to until I tried cleaning mine without one. They work great!!!

NO NO NO that looks horrible.........

You have a serious problem there with the stove.........

Theres no fire.................

Ahhh someone had to disagree..........

Just kidding looks normal :)

That looks like a brand new stove.
Not much burn time in this one fer sure!
As long as the ash is of a light texture (and not hard sandy texture ie Maine Wood Pellet Ash) it should be able to be pushed out of the burnpot. That is normal. if on the other hand it becomes to hard and forms an ash dam (ie Maine Wood Pellet) it will shrink your burn area down till it becomes extinct!. Keep scraping the pot out and it will be ok (even if you use Maine Wood Pellet)

Keep in mind you don't have to shut your stove down to do this. Just open the door up slowly, scoop it out and close the door again, no harm done.

What kind of pellets are you burning? I was getting this appearance when I was burning Hardwood Heat Pellets last year. I've included an old post from last year - which has pics of burn pot using Hardwood Heat, and other pics using Energex Pellets - quite a dramatic difference. Try using other brands in comparison and I think you'll find the same results.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7118/

Status
Not open for further replies.