Harman P38+ Settings (Two Knob/Old-style Board)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatalber

Aug 25, 2014
Central MA
Hi All, long time lurker. Have a new (to me) Harman P38+ with the old-style control board, with only two knobs, Feed rate and Blower rate. I have done quite a bit of searching prior to this, and read through the stickied 'How your Harman works' thread, but haven't found the answers I am looking for.

Was hoping to get a basic understanding of how the settings of these two knobs work on this stove. From my searches, it looks like a few of you guys have this stove, and maybe can chime in with some operating tips. The guy I bought it from said that I should keep the feed rate at 3-4 and leave it there, and use the blower speed to adjust the amount of heat output. Was wondering if this is correct and true to experience?

I have a P68 which is my main stove and the P38 is down the far end of the house to even the temperature. It doesn't get used as much as the P68. Here's how I use it. I have it connected to a remote thermostat, easy to do. When I light it (with a propane torch), I turn it to "2" for a feed setting and the fan is all the way to the right, Turbo, I believe. So when it calls for heat, the fan is in high speed and it cranks out the heat quickly. Then when the thermostat is satisfied, it goes into idle with the fan lowering it's speed. That works for me, but if it is your primary stove, you may want to operate differently.

Tom C.

I use stove temp (no thermostat). When I start the stove I set the feed rate to turbo to get things going (blower setting is always high with turbo feed rate). After 10-15 minutes on turbo I set the feed rate to 3 and the blower to about the middle setting. I really don't deviate from those settings.

OK, thanks for your replies. I do not have a thermostat so I will be running it in stove temp mode, like m159267. Im heating about 1200 sq feet in a cape/cottage style house.

I guess I just wanted to better understand the relationship of the blower to the heat output. I.e if the feed rate is static at 3, it seems logical that the heat btu production is pretty static, so does having the blower higher produce more heat output? If so, where does that heat go when the blower is on low? Out the exhaust, or dies it just radiate less efficiently than being blown out?

Status
Not open for further replies.