Harman P38...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbrown

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Hartland,Me.
morning guys,
woke up this morning to no power. pulled the genny out of the garage and hooked it up to the stove. the stove ran for a few minutes and died, and shortly after, the power came back on. i used the opportunity to let the stove cool down, and do a thorough cleaning.

now that it is ready to start back up, i turn on the feed rate and blower controls and nothing...could i have blown the fuse with the genny? and if so, where is the fuse...is it on the control board? Gio may be able to help here as he is also a P38 owner.

the genny is a 4000 watts coleman contractor series and i hooked it thru a surge protector first, then the stove into the surge protector.

thanks,

mike

mjbrown65 said:
morning guys,
woke up this morning to no power. pulled the genny out of the garage and hooked it up to the stove. the stove ran for a few minutes and died, and shortly after, the power came back on. i used the opportunity to let the stove cool down, and do a thorough cleaning.

now that it is ready to start back up, i turn on the feed rate and blower controls and nothing...could i have blown the fuse with the genny? and if so, where is the fuse...is it on the control board? Gio may be able to help here as he is also a P38 owner.

the genny is a 4000 watts coleman contractor series and i hooked it thru a surge protector first, then the stove into the surge protector.

thanks,

mike

Hi Mike, sorry about the stove.

There is a 6 amp fuse, I suspect it is on the control board, no decent pics in the manual. Unplug the stove and trace the wires from the 120 power cord, you should find it fairly easy that way.

Good luck

There is a 3 amp fuse located on the control board , inside and directly in back of the controls.
Lets hope that`s all the damage. It`s shown on page 17 in the owners manual.

Gio said:
There is a 3 amp fuse located on the control board , inside and directly in back of the controls.

That's interesting Gio this is what is listed in the manual I downloaded, Fuse 6 Amp part number 3-20-49447, I often wonder about half of the manuals.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Gio said:

That's interesting Gio this is what is listed in the manual I downloaded, Fuse 6 Amp part number 3-20-49447, I often wonder about half of the manuals.

Yeah, you never know for sure. At the bottom of the page 17 it reads: 300 watts--2.5 A--120volts AC 60 HZ
The blow up ESP diagram reads 3 amp fuse.
Being that it`s a bit of a PIA to get at even though you only have to remove two screws and tilt it out toward yourself the slack in the wiring is limited and I`m not inclined to do it unless I have to. I can`t get my big fingers in there and don`t want to chance breaking it (glass) just to check the actual size to verify whether it`s 3 or 6 A.
The OP will have to do that anyway so I`ll leave it to him.

thanks guys,

yes it is a 3 amp fuse...and a major size PIA as Gio said if you have large hands(and i do). just got it running again, decided while i was that far into it(had to disconnect,and spin the stove to access), i might as well clean the convection blower....LMAO, another major PIA. you have to diconnect the blower motor from the board, so here goes the big hands and fingers inn small places again.

anyhoo, the fuse is changed(it was blown), it IS a 3 amp fuse btw, and blower is cleaned. the stove is back together, and running fine. lesson learned....harman p38 does not like the genny, so i will save it for the furnace and a couple of lights.

thanks again, and hope this experiance benefits someone else along the way.

mike

mjbrown65 said:
thanks guys,

yes it is a 3 amp fuse...and a major size PIA as Gio said if you have large hands(and i do). just got it running again, decided while i was that far into it(had to disconnect,and spin the stove to access), i might as well clean the convection blower....LMAO, another major PIA. you have to diconnect the blower motor from the board, so here goes the big hands and fingers inn small places again.

anyhoo, the fuse is changed(it was blown), it IS a 3 amp fuse btw, and blower is cleaned. the stove is back together, and running fine. lesson learned....harman p38 does not like the genny, so i will save it for the furnace and a couple of lights.

thanks again, and hope this experiance benefits someone else along the way.

mike

Mike. did you ever read the generator output voltage? Don`t depend soley on the generator meter (if it has one) . Use a hand held one and check the on board meter against it.
It`s a shot in the dark but I found both my generators had low voltages. I kicked em up and my portable tools run stronger now (at least on the smaller one where I could tell the difference immediately. It`s always worth a check to be certain.

thanks gio...will certainly do that. i will let you know soon as i will need my dad to do this for me. he has all the toys to check it. right now is not good, mom is heading for the hospital, not doing well with chemo.

thanks again,

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.