Harman P52i noises. Normal or Not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim

Nov 6, 2014
Oregon
Good Morning all, or afternoon for most of you. My wife and I recently purchase a new P52i. It is installed in an existing zero clearance opening. I have been noticing some noises out of this new stove that we never heard out of our old Breckwell P23i. The first is when the stove is coming up to temp it frequently makes popping and cracking noises. I'm assuming these are coming from the metal expanding and contracting as this stove gets very hot in comparison to our old one. The noises are not from pellets being split by the trap door. We have that too, but these are more metallic sounding. Also does it when the stove reaches temp and starts cycling down. Probably normal but didn't expect it from a higher end product. The second also happens when the stove is coming up to temp and the distribution fan kicks on. It is sort of a humming, vibration noise. Maybe buzzing would be a more accurate word. It seems to only last for a little bit then goes away. This one doesn't sound normal to me. The stove is only a couple weeks old. I would hope that on a premium product like this everything would be pretty tight and balanced as to avoid vibrations. It makes me wonder if it's something to do with the install. Could it be the jamming rods in the mounting frame vibrating on the metal box of the zero clearance enclosure. I don't believe the installer even put any mason screws into the mounting holes on the bottom of the mounting frame, so maybe I need to anchor that down to the hearth/brick. Any thoughts. Happy Friday to all.

I guess they get some clinking sounds heating up. The ones I've heard run are pretty silent otherwise but they have been up to temp when I have heard them. Just the sound of blowing air basically. They have a strong convection fan is what I remember, stronger than my P61a..

Good Morning all, or afternoon for most of you. My wife and I recently purchase a new P52i. It is installed in an existing zero clearance opening. I have been noticing some noises out of this new stove that we never heard out of our old Breckwell P23i. The first is when the stove is coming up to temp it frequently makes popping and cracking noises. I'm assuming these are coming from the metal expanding and contracting as this stove gets very hot in comparison to our old one. The noises are not from pellets being split by the trap door. We have that too, but these are more metallic sounding. Also does it when the stove reaches temp and starts cycling down. Probably normal but didn't expect it from a higher end product. The second also happens when the stove is coming up to temp and the distribution fan kicks on. It is sort of a humming, vibration noise. Maybe buzzing would be a more accurate word. It seems to only last for a little bit then goes away. This one doesn't sound normal to me. The stove is only a couple weeks old. I would hope that on a premium product like this everything would be pretty tight and balanced as to avoid vibrations. It makes me wonder if it's something to do with the install. Could it be the jamming rods in the mounting frame vibrating on the metal box of the zero clearance enclosure. I don't believe the installer even put any mason screws into the mounting holes on the bottom of the mounting frame, so maybe I need to anchor that down to the hearth/brick. Any thoughts. Happy Friday to all.
I'm new to the 52i as well. We installed ours in September. We also have a zero clearance installation. The noises you are hearing, I'm hearing as well. I notice a lot of pop noises as the stove comes to temperature and then cools off. I've passed this off due to the metal expansion. I think the zero clearance cabinet is also responsible for some of the noise that folks with installs in standard masonry fireplaces (NON ZC) possibly won't experience. My unit also makes an audible hum as it runs, which I'm told is the blower used to drive the fire. Then when the stove gets to temp, the additional room blower will come on at the speed you've specified on the settings. For us, this thing is no more noisy than the propane insert it replaced.

This thread and vid is from a fellow member having the same problems.do not know if yours is doing the same but I would recomend making a YouTube vid and sending it to the owner of the shop you purchase it at.this gentleman is getting his replaced with a brand new stove from harman.Hope this helps#
Truthfully the bolts are not a huge concern themselves. They only warn me that maybe the install was rushed and not done as well as it should have. I can easily make and replace them with shims at work, (although i shouldn't have to and am contacting the installer on this issue as well as the noises). The major concern are the noises coming from the stove and what is causing them. I had the day off from work today and took some video if the noises. Could you guys take a look and confirm with me that these are NOT normal...? I just want to make sure in case i get a response from the dealer that popping and tinging noises are normal. I mean it says they are in the manual but i think that these are pretty extreme. Also note that this video was edited, first few seconds are during warm up and the others are during cool down. This is multiple clips put together. I would say that the stove pops or makes some sort of popping noise about every minuet or so until fully warm and than agian during cool down these. Thanks all!. (don't mind my dog walking around the hard wood flooring :) )

Chris.

I'm new to the 52i as well. We installed ours in September. We also have a zero clearance installation. The noises you are hearing, I'm hearing as well. I notice a lot of pop noises as the stove comes to temperature and then cools off. I've passed this off due to the metal expansion. I think the zero clearance cabinet is also responsible for some of the noise that folks with installs in standard masonry fireplaces (NON ZC) possibly won't experience. My unit also makes an audible hum as it runs, which I'm told is the blower used to drive the fire. Then when the stove gets to temp, the additional room blower will come on at the speed you've specified on the settings. For us, this thing is no more noisy than the propane insert it replaced.

I know the fan hum you're talking about, but this is kind of in addition to that one. More of a vibrating, buzz. I did see that youtube vid on that guys insert noises, i'm not sure mine are quite that loud so maybe it just the expansion thing. My brother has a Mt. Vernon and says he experiences them as well. I do appreciate everyone's input. Anyone have any input on the mounting frame not having any anchor bolts into the hearth. Thinking maybe i'll put the service rail on and pull it out to double check the install and leveling of everything.

I know the fan hum you're talking about, but this is kind of in addition to that one. More of a vibrating, buzz. I did see that youtube vid on that guys insert noises, i'm not sure mine are quite that loud so maybe it just the expansion thing. My brother has a Mt. Vernon and says he experiences them as well. I do appreciate everyone's input. Anyone have any input on the mounting frame not having any anchor bolts into the hearth. Thinking maybe i'll put the service rail on and pull it out to double check the install and leveling of everything.
To the best of my knowledge it's supposed to be anchored down. We looked at that insert before we bought our P61a and they ( the dealer) said the 52i gets bolted down during install.

I also
I also just installed a 52i this fall. It is the convection blower in the fire box. Mine comes on when it calls for heat and the fire is lighting up. It is more like a quite fan then a buzz in my unit. I do not get a buzz or vibration as you speak of. This happens on the other end when it is cycling to shut down also. I get a few pops here and there but nothing as drastic as the guy that put his in earlier post. Usually when heating up to top temp and then sometimes when cooling down. I have noticed it less and less as season of heating is going on. It's almost like it needed a little breaking in period. Also my unit is not a zero clearance.

Reactions: Bigjim

That was my video of the popping noises. If you looked through my thread you would also see the bolts that were used a spacers between the hearth and the front of the stove. I think they used them because my fire box is about a 1/4" higher then the hearth. I looked through the install manual http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/ACC52i_I.pdf and i do not think there are any bolts that should be secured down to the hearth its self. Only the 4 frame anchor bolts in the fire box its self. And any leveling bolts necessary next to anchor points. I don't believe the rails under the front of the stove have any leveling/anchor points.

Also other than the popping noises on my current stove all i can hear is the blower fan and the occasional snapping pellet from the feeder door. I would say a buzzing noise is not normal.

Also mine is not a zero clearance install..

Status
Not open for further replies.